Thread: New Indiana Bueller, need some baseline maintenance advice

Hello All. Just brought home an 04 xb12s. First off, this is my first Buell as well as my first bike.
    Item 1:
    she ran great the first couple days, but i think she needs a little TLC. She is starting to run rough. I'm still getting accustomed to the idle of a v-twin, so it's hard for me to tell. But I do know that when I cruise at a constant speed, she misses out. it's not to the point where the bike is lunging, but stuttering. Acceleration is fine and the stuttering is not tied to a specific RPM range. She also was given a fresh tank of premium (after the stutter started). I don't have a maintenace history in it so I'm wanting to start from scratch. I'm thinking of just completing the following: plugs, wires, clean air filter, etc. But I'm looking for any other suggestions as to what I should do, just to give her a baseline. I've started to read about the ECMspy and resetting the TPS. Just need some advise on the basic things I should do first.

Item 2:
    After about 50 miles, i noticed a small drip from the left fork. looks like I'll need fork seals right? and should I do both sides at once? if anyone can point me in the right direction as far as part numbers of what I will need and instructions, that would be great. I no stranger to tools, just a stranger to bikes.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

2004 Buell XB12S - "Bella"
    Renthal bars, shorty levers, crankcase breather mod, HID headlights, tail chop, smoke tailight, snug signals, K&N filter, metal mulisha grips, oberon bar end mirrors, race seat, black paint w/ subtle gold flake, powder coated orange heel guards, header wrap

If I was you I would get a service manual it will tell you everything you need to know and if you are doing one fork seal just do the other one to this way you do not have to take it apart again.

thanks rchuff, I'll get the manual.

Check your throttle cable play. Too much play can cause a little stutter felling at a constant throttle.
    Unrelated but check your tires, If your tires are cupped or worn unevenly it can cause these bikes to ride weird.

Plugs and filters are never a bad thought. Check the wires first, if the work and have no cracks or worn parts, I wouldn't change them. check the air filter too, if it is pretty clean then it is ok.

Thanks buellfighter, didn't think to check the throttle cable. I'll do that. I appreciate the feedback!