Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XB12S chassis check after purchase.

Full suspension of the bike to overhaul the moving bits. Never trust a second-hand bike - it's amazing what some people do to a bike. Things I found: 1. Wiring harness under seat chafed at underside so that about four wires were shorting to the galvanized battery cradle. 2. O2 sensor squashed on one side. 3. Harness securing strap at rear of motor not connected on one side so that wires were touching the rear cylinder. 4. Swingarm pivot pin 'remanufactured badly in three pieces (life threatening). 5. Horn missing.

Being so far from the source, parts take about six weeks from eBay. Quite frustrating and their 48 day return guarantee expires before receipt of goods. Bought a pair of subframe spacers from DieselMoto and they sent me two left hand ones instead of a pair. Bought a spare key and am still waiting 12 weeks later.

All disassembled now and cleaned up. Just have to wait for the parts to get here.

where are you located for the parts to take so long to get to you? on finding those problems

Cape Town, South Africa.

Is that a Lotus Esprit under the cover? Sorry to change the subject!

Wow - good spotting WALLSXB. '82 Turbo Esprit. Bought it in London in 1990 and brought it back in bits for reassembly. There is also a Karmann Ghia chassis just behind the bike. I bought two cars and am putting the best bits together. Also building the house on weekends but that's me - too many projects and I am now WAY off topic.

Dropped my front wheel off at an engineering shop to have the bearings pulled out. Also took my seat to an upholstry man with pictures of the Baldwin Saddles aftermarket item and some car soft-top vinyl.
    Tried to remove the pad retaining pin from the front caliper last night with no success. Alen bolt has been ruined so here we go with the easyouts and penetrating fluid again.

Custom slidert machined and ready for fitting. Totally impractical and paddock stand unfriendly but who cares - aesthetics more important.

nice

Those sliders are wicked looking!!! You made them?

No, clever man with a lathe did it for me for a lot of money.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast