Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Buell wouldn't start

I went to dinner tonight for my dad's birthday and when i came out, the bike would just click like the starter would start to engage, but then it didn't have power to turn over. My trip meter and clock reset which lead me to believe that the battery was dead so i got a ride home and picked up some jumper cables and then went back. We tried to jump the bike with my buddy's altima and it wouldnt, so we started the car (later to find out that was a big no-no) and it still didn't start. we went back home AGAIN and got my dad's truck, hooked up the jumper cables again without his truck starting, and the bike fired right up. i went to take the cables off and the bike immediately died. That then lead me to believe that the charging system was bad, but we put the battery on the jumper cables completely disconnected and let it charge for 15-20min and the bike started and i made it home. I got home, rode the bike for a while, killed it and started it probably 10 times, and then when i went to show my dad, it wouldn't start again. Now i'm pretty sure its my stator or something, only now, my speedometer doesn't work along with my trip meter and the odo doesn't budge.

could i have fried something when i started the car to jump it that could be causing this?

also, how much is it going to cost me (ball park) to have the stator replaced?

read the codes first before you buy any parts... if it is ...stator P/N: 29971-02YA $98.25 @ newcastlehd.com

can i extract these codes with ECMspy?

yes, you can also jump pins #1 & #2 on the dongle by the battery/ecm and read the flashes of the CEL on the cluster

ok, well i have my cable, but i just realized that i had the software on my old laptop. can you point me to a download? preferably a free one?

here, hope it works

Inactive
    hooker: as usual thrst providing excellent info and help. cycle batteries have much more of a propensity to "dead short" a cell than car/truck batteries. i attribute it to heat, vibration, and their smallish size. the symptoms you are describing are classic "dead shorted cell" battery symptom. troubleshoot as thrst suggested but betting it is merely dead shorted battery.

i have no clue why i didn't clarify. It's a 2003 XB9S.

alright, here were my ECMspy readings from the bike running. The weird thing is that it started right up this morning, threw no codes, and nothing looks out of the ordinary. The voltage is where it should be too, so does that mean i could still have a bad battery?

my battery is at 11.9v right now with the bike off though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast