Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 XB12R Rebuild... Won't Start/Backfire

I'm leaning towards the cams being out of phase. I've seen this on other forums (sv650 and Ninja 650) where people put their cam(s) back in using the marks, only to find they're 360* off. Are you absolutely certain, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you had the correct cylinder at tdc when you aligned the cam?

Aligning the cams is fool proof. Long as the marks match up they are good. You cant install them 360 off thats just silly. Cam phase? It doesnt have cam sensors or variable valve timing.

Assuming you absolutely have fuel entering the engine, even with timing out, youd get ignition eventually a pop a smoke a fire or a bang. Leads me to believe you either dont have fuel like you think so or you dont have spark like you think you do.

Pour some fuel down the intake give it a crank? Whats happens? Still nothing? Inspect for spark near top dead center.
    (Put bike on stand in fifth gear, plugs out, power everything on, spin tire watch for spark, if sparks, check that piston is near TDC)

Im hoping youve checked the obvious stuff. Compression would be the last thing to test for. Fuel pump primes? Everything is plugged in? Its easy to mis something IE: the main ground from frame to engine ontop :p

Hmm, well is there something special about the Buell motor that the cam can't possibly be installed incorrectly? On every other twin I've seen, there are two ways to install the cam while lining it up with the marks. With the front at tdc, and the rear at tdc. If you use the wrong cylinder, it absolutely will not run because the valves will be open at the wrong times in each cylinder's stroke. That's what I'm talking about with cams being out of phase. Does this not apply to the Buell twin?

You can install them wrong. But yoyd have to do it on purpose. The crank only has one mark, you match that mark up on the cam, its literally connect the dots. As long as the dots line up they are in the correct location.

stupid question but did you install the cam timing sensor and did you plug it in . Or its burnt out

stupid question but did you install the cam timing sensor and did you plug it in . Or its burnt out
    I feel like a troll today, just dead at work.

But the bike is a 2008, they did away with the ignition module, had a crank sensor instead

oh my bad, but the crank sensor could be your problem , ive had issues like that with cars same symptoms , im pretty sure you can use a volt meter to check the crank sensor while your cranking over the motor , to see if it has a pulse. sometimes those wont throw code even if they are bad.

I checked the cps against the owners manual test specs... They seem to check out ok. I also checked the ecm and reflashed a stock program. Still the same outcome.

I broke down and took the bike to the dealership to get taken for $100.00, that was a waste. My local harley dealership apparently no longer supports Buell aside from anything mechanical. I wanted them to check if there are issues with the ECM.... Wish they could have told me that before I forked over $100.

The bike is now back in my garage, it its exactly the same as the last time i posted. I'll try and take a video of the bike cranking when i'm able to get to it.

Anyone in the metro Detroit area have experience in working on these and want to give me a hand?

Thanks again guys

try setting afv to max value.
    plugs, wet or dry?
    ht leads?
    compression?
    iac position?
    record a log with ecmspy v2, post a link.

Could my wideband O2 system be causing a no start problem if it's not sending proper readings?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast