Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tranny problem after motor rebuild

so i just got done rebuilding my motor, and before i put the crank in ect, i tested the tranny to make sure it shifted

ect and it did, now that i have the motor in the bike it doesent want to shift at all, took the primary off and clutch to

make sure the shifter was installed correctly tried to shift it by hand while spinning the rear tire, the rear tire will

only spin a few times both ways b4 it locks up, i am able to shift it but it still locks up . any ideas anyone?

05 firebolt xb12

shift cam lobe caught on the detent on the right side case half / bent spring sleeve assy. detent? plates in the clutch pack warped?

This is hard to understand, the tire should lock up in gear if the engine isnt running.

If the shift cam wont turn then suspect, the detent is bent or broken, you can pull the neutral swith look inside and possibly see. Or you have a dog ring bound in the main/counter shafts. Can you locate neutral? Does the tire spin free?

Ya it was the detent lol, I feel like such a squid lmao, guess I didn't push it back far enough when I was puttin the cases back together, yoi live n learn , sometimes the hard way lol

For future reference (hopefully very far future) for keeping the detent out of the way while the cases are being put back together, one of the head bolt/nuts fits perfect in the neutral switch hole to hold it out of the way. Special tool, or fiddling with it isnt needed. Are you going back into your cases or were you anle to free it up?

Had to rip it apart and bend the detent back it was pretty bent lol ill post a pic . But no biggie only took 12 hours start to finish , plus got to take a peek inside the motor n see how everything was after a 5 min run . I tell ya what a big difference doing a .020 overbore in throttle response . Plus I went with weisco pistons, and I had dragos bike works redo the crank true balance n tig weld the crank pin .

practice makes perfect.
    Did you redo the crank bearings and rods? and if so, where did you order them from?
    Did you have the whole rotating assy rebalanced? good stuff to learn to avoid these mistakes. Im all about being educated by others experiences.:):):)

i had dragos bike works in rockford Illinois balance the crank and i think he just put new bushings in the rods bearings that was about 450$ ,
    i had a local machine shop press the bearings and races in the case and crank and bore out my jugs 0.020 they charged me 170$ for that
    and the pistons are weisco from drag specialties part number on those is #0903-0584 and they are 10:1:1 compression,
    well now it kinda shifts, but im getting a grinding/whining noise when i depress the clutch, i dont get it i followed everything in the service manual regarding the trans , and it shifted worked perfect before i took it apart lol, clutch is in great shape i checked the thickness of the fiber plates, shift forks are in great shape i checked them as well, who knows maby the shifter ratchet thing is worn out

i guess ill just mess with it some more monday,

ok i feel like such a dumbass i forgot to put the nut behind the clutch on . so now it doesnt make any noise, but im stuck in 3rd gear now .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast