, nothin, sunday, monday, b.t.w, xb12s, running, solve, hi-beam, checked, fuses, begging, yesterday, shower, 2weeks, replaced, florida, switch, difference, check, blown, ignition/kill, parked, daily, today, gauges, tryed" /> This sux! No fuel pump no start no headlight please help!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This sux! No fuel pump no start no headlight please help!

So 2weeks ago I had a relay go bad on me for the ignition. So I replaced the ignition and the start relays, the start relay is still good. I even just put a new one in and still nothing.
    Ok so I rode home in a little rain shower yesterday after work, in Florida almost a daily thing. I got home ok, parked the bike.
    Then today I go to start my bike and- turn the key the gauges do there thing then I flip the ignition/kill switch, and I don't hear the fuel pump turn on so I put all 3 new relays in. And no difference, then I check my main fuse and it's blown. So I put a new fuse in and tryed it again and nothin! .
    I also noticed that all my turn signals work tail light is on and front and rear brake levers make the brake light come on.
    But I don't have a headlight on my hi-beam also doesn't work.
    I checked all fuses and there all good!?
    Please I'm begging someone to help me solve this. I need it running by Sunday so I can get to work Monday.
    B.T.W. 2004 xb12s
    Thanx, DiRT

Does the starter spin when you hit the starter button?

I would start by checking the run/kill switch on the right handle bar (not the ignition switch). Try vigorously flipping it on/off a couple times while the ignition is on and see if you hear the fuel pump prime. Double check all the fuses - especially the one for the fuel pump. Are you low on fuel? Shake the bike hard forward and backwards - and see if that makes a difference.

But the real issue you need to dig - is what is causing the fuses to blow. Start following your wire harness and check for worn through spots. Check the harness under the seat and follow it as it runs up inside the left frame rail.

Check the spot under the Left Side scoop (LSS) where the bundle runs over the front cylinder - it sometimes slips down and gets pinched between the LSS and the fins at the top of the cylinder. Then pull the right side sprocket cover and check the wires and connections there. Check the wires running from there up to the voltage regulator in front, and check your CPS and crank sensor wires while your there too.

Good luck.
    Rusty

Thanx rusty. I've done the first to paragraphs you mentioned. And I only have 30miles since I filled up. I took the throttle control apart to check the ignition/kill switch from the inside, looked fine. Took the fly screen off everything looks good. Checked all fuses everything looks good.
    I'll try taking the sprocket cover off and checking everything out. Thanx a lot for suggesting this!!! Ill let you know.

Still not working. And I'm so effen confused. Bike always works great and then BAM won't work for some unknown reason. Better pump my bicycle tires up so I can get to work Monday. Damn

when you say main fuse - do you mean the 15 amp ignition fuse or the 30amp battery fuse?

If ignition fuse -> follow the brown yellow wire from the fuel pump - if it gets shorted to 12volts - it will blow the ignition fuse.

If it's the battery fuse -> study that '77' connector under the sprocket cover which goes the the v-regulator - open it/clean it / lube it with dielectric grease.

Plan B - get the bicycle ready - I always ride the bicycle on rainy days instead of the Buell - but we don't have cloud burst/t-storms here like you have - just steady gray drizzle.

The 15amp I believe it is coming off the battery. All fuses and relays in fuse box , are all ok. And I was just being sarcastic bout the bike I also have a car. But rather ride the bike!
    When you say '77' connector. Which one is that?

The battery fuse is supposed to be a 30 amp fuse. Do you have a shop manual? You know that there are free online shop manuals at the top of these pages - says Buell service manuals.

Connector 77 is the main connector for the voltage regulator and it is under the sprocket cover. I would simply pull every connector open and inspect it for corrosion - and the hit it with Dielectric grease and reassemble it.

do you have a battery charger? Might be a good idea to charge up - and take the connections apart and clean/grease and reassemble them snug too.

Ok ill plug it in right now to charge. Should I keep it plugged in when I disconnect the '77' and any other connectors?

Should I get a multimeter? So I can trace the source to where I'm loosing the power.
    Or will just a tester light work?

Thanx for all your help, DiRT
    P.S. just gonna watch the F1 race then ill be workin on the bike.

all good info given, also read your codes which will help narrow down the system(s) which in hand you can follow the troubleshooting tree in the manual, thus beginning the process of elimination of what is causing the problem.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast