Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What Type of Oil

maybebuell - Maybe with an open mind and formal training you could swallow your pride and admit you're wrong. It's a real shame that with all the information available to us, you still possess that mindset. By your logic, olive oil is good for all applications if changed frequently. My statements are based on engineering FACTS, not opinions.

how can you say then when are are articals upon articals about motorcycle oil vs car oil..not talking about syn just reg oil .......use of syn is great but im not one who will leave syn in my bike for 5000 miles...id rather use reg oil and change it 3 times......theres lots of guys i know including harley machanics who tryed syn and went back to reg oil...because of oil leaks and top end noise....if it worked for you thats great...im 50 years old owned well over 15 bikes...and seen more high milage bikes in my day....its not what you use its change it often bottom line....everyone i ride with have 113 ci motors and up..some have twice the tq of your buell and 50 more hp... and can run just as hot..... not getting into a pissing contest tryed it used it other people i know did the same.....its not my choice

It's easy to say, because it's true. I'm older than you, been riding over 50 years, have had well over 100 bikes in my life, have a master's degree in the subject, and over 40 years in the industry working with factory race teams and dealing with service related issues and failure analysis - not to mention many years experience with oil analysis and dyno testing oils. I certainly can't explain in one simple message all you would need to know for a better understanding. Prove it for yourself - perform an oil analysis after the same period of time / miles with different oils and get the proof of the difference in wear. Oil anaylisis can be performed at quality race shops or your local aircraft service center. Measure horsepower at the rear wheel with different oils. Measure oil temperature after X period of time. Measure engine temperature with different oils. The FACT that the oil analysis proves MORE wear with mineral based oils and EVEN MORE wear with an automotive blend indicates a difference in wear. THE FACT that there is more rear wheel horsepower with a quality synthetic versus mineral based indicates a reduction in friction, therefore less wear. I have many years of engineering experience and proof to confirm the point. You are free to use what you want and believe as you will, but don't contaminate the real facts with your (or other's) opinion without proof.

On a real simple note - automotive engines run far cooler than air-cooled motorcycle engines, have far less horsepower per cubic inch, are subject to far less stress and strain, and at least another dozen differences I could list between the two.

maybebuell - You mentioned 113 cu.in. engines - I currently only 24 motorcycles with 11 being Harleys and the biggest of those is an R&R 155 cu.in. street bike, not to mention the four "X" series Buells. An oil analysis will prove my point. I'll match the baby 113 inch engines with torque and horsepower before my bike ever comes on the cam. ... Just trying to help you out guy. The proof is on the dyno, engine temperature, and most importantly, the oil analysis. Top of the day to you sir.

all sounds good guys enjoy the syn oil..i know reggie very well at R&R and ride with his son a few times a year..no syn in there personal rides eather....point was is there a difference in reg car oil to reg motorcycle oil.... syn car oil to syn motorcycle oil. ?....tell me the difference...dont tell me it has difference additives...what is the additive that makes it different between the two..the answer is none.. same additives in both oils.....tests all over the internet cant find a difference between the two except the price...I agree syn protects better...i dont agree that a motorcycle syn like mobil protects better then mobil syn car oil...the wear test that you talk about... temp test.. and dyno hp tests will show no difference between the two syn

anyone from mass here....my 700 lb bagger is looking to race a buell...hey USA where you from post a pic of that 155 ci motor for all to see ...i pretty much think your a dreamer..prove me wrong post a pic.....

maybebuell .. Just for you - go to www.rrcycles.com and look at the engine. Pics won't cut/paste without URL and my pics aren't on internet. No dreaming on this end, just reality. You're obviously a real sore loser as you're atypical of such - character assassination and denial rather than self admission of being wrong. Real pitty too.

i run syn-3 in my 05 xb12 and change it every 2500. seems to be doing me right. i think synthetic is the way to go. i belive alot of people have heard about synthetic causing oil leaks in bikes and this pushes them away. if you start with it early on your fine, its when you put it in higher milage bikes is when it may cause a leak around seals.synthetic has more cleaning detergent in the oil than standerd oil so when put in higher milage bikes it tends to clean all that goop the standerd oil has left behind from around seals and other parts causing leaks.hmmm... anyway, i use syn-3

usa lol you go look at the motors on the web sight..I see then first hand...like i said a dreamer..your the one with the masters degree.....I asked a simple question...tell me the difference between the two oils. motorcycle oil.... car oil....your answer is... its motorcycle oil...ya ok allright..just stoped you right in your tracks usa.......you have no answer, no data

you cant even find data on the internet saying motyorcycle oil is better then car oil..it sayes the opposite.....

hey USA...the sign says ..( fine for hunting )..think the hunting is any good here

maybebuell - I've already told you, maybe you can't read. The primary data collection and tests results show lower oil temperature, reduced engine temperature, lower HC emissions (as a result of lower oil temperature), and the real proof is in the oil analysis after each run. I have conducted this test on dozens of bikes over the years and the results are always the same. Premium synthetic motorcycle oils always have less wear than petroleum based oils. The proof is in the oil analysis - there is an increase in metal deposits with petroleum based oils. As I offered to you, change your oil at the same intervals and have an analysis performed and you'll see firsthand what I'm saying is true. Obviously, it is easier for you to spout off about something versus proving it right or wrong. I get paid to train groups on motorcycle dynamics, so why would I waste any time trying to convince you of something you probably wouldn't accept anyway? Prove it for yourself. You have bounced around on the subject and only want to argue. First, you said ANY oil is okay and synthetics only make engines noisier and leak. Then later you say that you know synthetics are better than petroleum but automotive is no different than motorcycle oil. I never offered to you a specific ingredient; I told you the tests results indicate motorcycle synthetic oils have higher lubricity properties than petroleum based oils. Another test you can do and prove a difference is the thermal breakdown point. Put the oils in a frying pan and increase the temperature. See which burns the easiest. Call a representative from BG or Royal Purple and ask them to give you a demonstration on film strength. You’ll see the difference.

It would be real easy to take your approach and attack you in the manner you have me – dreamer, etc. I could easily say you’re proof positive that there’s no cure for stupid or tell you to do your own “resurch” by starting with a dictionary. But I won’t. I have given you all you need to prove or disprove the idea by performing an oil analysis and see firsthand the results. Or, measure engine / oil temperatures – a reduction in temperature is certainly a reduction in friction, which equates to more available horsepower and longevity. Or, you can contact a BG or Royal Purple representative and let them show you the difference in film strength and protection.

As I said before, run what you want and believe what you will. If what you’re saying is correct, the race teams would have cases of Wal-Mart el cheapo oil in their hauler. I know all the articles out there and the comparisons, but few actually address the issue of longevity or debris / wear components of the oil analysis, let alone horsepower gains / losses or thermal differences. Ride safe.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast