Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What Type of Oil

what dont you understand reread the post its not syn vs reg oil......its syn motorcycle oil vs syn car oil oil..reg motorcycle oil vs reg car oil whats the difference..is that hard to understand..thats what im saying they cant find any difference between the two...usually the car oil test the same or better then so called motorcycle oil........there are lots of harleys that the top end is louder with syn for some reason..thats a big reason why some go back to reg oil..for some reason syn will leak in areas on certian motors that reg oil wont ......those reasons alone is why people switch back to reg oil....there,s high milage motorcycles and cars on reg oil....people use what works for them......if you do end up using reg oil in a v twin change it often....i did not see lower temps on my motor with syn...only thing that droped oil temps was the addition of a oil cooler droped 40 deg....recap... motor top end louder and leaks or weeping with syn on certian motors....reg oil is not a problem its the best oil for my motor...my two other buddys with over 100.000 on there 113s it worked for them also....Usa you have a great day and enjoy your next ride...

wow, way to completely ruin the forums... what is the recommended weight? please get back on topic guys! what do you use?

Wow is right! My life is simple. I use automotive oil in my autos and motorcycle oil in motorcycles. Syn-3 is good for all cavities, as well as Royal Purple Cycle Max - 20W50. Best advice is to pick one and stay with it. Changing from synthetic to mineral and back or brand to brand is not the best thing to do. I used Syn-3 in my Harleys and Buells until I switched to Royal Purple. Same oil in all cavities. Simple inventory!

good stuff, i'm really thinking about royal purple now that i've read this and another forum, i tried mobile 1 and don't like as much as syn3, but didn't like syn3 all that much either, i know purple is the best so if i'm not satisfied there tough, i'm just using it based on stats lol anyone got a suggestion on where to buy it for the best price?

ok which one do i get? regular 20/50, max cycle?

Royal Purple Cycle Max 20W50 is the one. Good stuff!

What do you mean when you say in "both holes"? There is only one place to put oil in, to my knowledge.

anyone tried 10x40? according to the royal purple site it says you can use it for buells, any reccomendation or the reasoning behind using 10w40?

"Both holes" or "all cavities" means the engine oil and transmission - primary oil. You have an XB9, right? Engine oil change is drained from the swingarm oil tank and also filled there. The transmission-primary is drained on the bottom of the primary case and filled with the clutch inspection cover removed. 2.5 qts in the engine, ~1 qt. in the transmission-primary. Torque on the engine drain plug is 30 ft/lb and the primary is 11-15 ft/lb.

10W40 vs 20W50? For a cold climate area during the winter months, 10W40 would be okay. 20W50 is a little more viscous and handles the hot months better. I have lived in CA, AZ, GA, FL, & TX and use 20W50 year round. 10W40 is a little thinner, may have a little less "drag", but probably offers no real benefit in warmer climates. Hot areas really need the thicker stuff.

Ok,

I have to admit that the bickering is good drama. Quite honestly, I have learned a great deal from the exchange.............Thanks "USA" .

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast