Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headlight Bulbs - what is everyone using

My headlight bulbs are starting to look a bit dim on my 2005 XB9SX (I think they are the originals). What brand/type is everyone using. I was considering doing an HID upgrade but may wait on that. For now I think I just want to keep stock style bulbs but want something that gives off a lot more light but won't get too hot. Any recommendations? Thanks

The brighter/whiter halogen bulbs have a lesser bulb life than the traditional 'yellower' ones.
    FYI, any bulb other than what's specified on the headlight housing itself (including HIDs) is technically illegal...

DDM tuning Hid's!!!

Yeah, I know the HID's are technically illegal, but I live in the country and ride on a lot of backroads so there is not much traffic and not many cops. It is also VERY dark with lots of deer so strong headlights are a necessity and a lot of people run HID's in headlight housing which are not made for them (not the best because the light is not focused). I just don't like the reliability of HID's....too many things to go wrong (bulbs, ballasts, ignitors, etc.). I also ride on a lot of long trips so I need a system that is reliable and easy to service if a bulb goes out.
    What brand Halogen do you recommend for the Buell?

Yea I don't care about their legality either. Italy's me feel safer having them and being able to see!

What brand Halogen do you recommend for the Buell?
    If I remember correctly, I believe it's Sylvania Silver Star bulbs I am running. They provide good visibility and a whiter, more modern looking light.

If I remember correctly, I believe it's Sylvania Silver Star bulbs I am running. They provide good visibility and a whiter, more modern looking light.
    Yea im using the silver star ultras. They are a good bulb without being obnoxious like the hid's

Silver Stars are nice... but kind of expensive.

Though I haven't in the Buell yet... I tend to go middle-ground price wise.... Whatever "Hyper white" is ~$20 versus the silver stars for $40.

I will try thisIN MY 06XB9sX!!

Last Friday I just changed a burned out low beam with a Silver Star from Autozone and it was just over 20 bucks, it must not have been the Ultra version? It puts out a lot more light than the stock version and seems just as hot or less. My only HID experience is with a Nite Rider HID that I used to use for Mountain Biking for over 5 years and it ran on a battery. The starter was integrated with the light, as well as the switch and a battery level indicator, not applicable to a motorcycle, but the light is phenomominal and very rugged as I have bashed into tree limbs, fell into creeks, used it in the rain, as well as dropped it about half dozen times. Based on this bicycle version of an HID light System, I would think that reliability may not be an issue on a good system for motorcycles? I do not have any first hand experiences though nor have researched it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast