Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broken exhaust stud

03 XB9SL

Well 2 weeks ago the nuts on the rear header came off so I rotated the motor and replaced the nuts. I went to pull one of the nuts off the front for size comparison and the first one I pulled was frozen to the stud so the stud actually turned out of the head being as it was on a Sunday night, and a new stud would be hard to come by, I simply turned it back in and removed the other nut. Flash forward to yesterday and that stud broke off. I'm assuming that it won't be frozen in the head since it was just out so again I'm assuming that drilling it and using an easy out is the way to go. Anyone have any advice on this particular job?

If you recently had it out an easy out will most likely work. I hope you learned a lesson about reusing ****ty fasteners. Kroil and or pb blaster are your friends.

I would be weary of using an easy, have broken a couple off this way, but it the simplest way to go, plus you recently had them out.

you could always try a left handed thread drill bit....

type in a google search on "Broken exhaust stud, Buell" theres already a ton of Postings on this topic on this forum and others, some very good "How-To's" I had the same issue, bought the special tools, invested in KWiksert inserts to fix the stripped holes and learned a ton on this topic. even though i already had a lot of experience in general broken off bolts, tapping holes, and machine shop techniques.

Be very careful of easy outs, they are harder than hell, and snap off easily, you are flat out SCREWED if you break one, if you do then you get to learn all about how an EDM machine works and remove and replace a cylinder head.

i agree with internet annoyance 100%, never use easy out on aluminum heads,

lmao my local harley made that mistake on my friends buell and tried to get him to buy a new head.
    heres the story behind it , before his motor blew i painted his bike (frame off ) and i replaced all 4 of his exhaust studs while i had the motor out.
    when harley was installing his headers after the rebuild they snapped a exhaust stud and tried to easy out it, and snapped a easy out in the head and tried blaming him for it .
    and then told him that he needed a new head and didnt tell him why.

hmm..... makes you wonder how many people this harley dealer screw over that dont know better

Normally i would say never use an easy out but did you guys miss the part where it was removed two weeks ago. It can't be that frozen in 2 weeks

It came out with an easy out I grabbed from Sears Hardware last night. I ended having to drill a small pilot hole in the stud, then using the reversed drill on the easy out and then a quarter inch ratchet to very carefully turn out the stud with the extractor. Went pretty good tho I did **** up my header wrap in the process, I'll probably just pull it all off and try to clean and polish them back up.

As far as the lesson on using ****ty fasteners, well, the bike is my only means of transport currently and I couldn't afford missing a days work, admittedly I could have gotten the new stud since then but 12 to 14 hour work days don't leave for much down time.

fair enough, glad you got it out though. Im one of the lucky people who own a drill jig for those studs.

Yeah I was very happy not to need to tear the bike apart again.

Thanks to everyone for the good info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast