Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primary - Gears? ChainClutch?

Got mine apart, hub bearing is toast. Taking it in with me to work tomorrow to remove, measure, and source a bearing, as it has been on back order from Hardley for six weeks now. I will update when I get something going.
    Raz

@Jmal I hear ya man, taken that route already working on this bike! Rocker gaskets turned into a nightmare 75% into it, thought I was headed to the dealer then too but I managed to save face.

@Raz Thanks for sharing and good luck with it! Post up some pictures if you can, maybe this thread will prove to be useful to others. On one hand I hope my problem is the same as yours, as it seems easily diagnosed.. But on the other, I'm hoping to have it fixed and get a bit of riding in before the end of the season (not much left in VT).

Did not have to measure! Bearing is a Koyo 40BTM 4720 and I will have 2 from our local supplier by the end of the week. I got a couple of pics on my phone but I'll have to wait until I get home to post them as I don't have my USB cable with me hear at work.
    Raz

This is starting to suck. I received this message from my bearing supplier at work. "This is an OEM item. No longer in production." I have an email out to Koyo bearings asking what the deal is. Part # is 40BMT4720. Tomorrow I will try to cross reference to see if anyone else makes one.
    Raz

That totally sucks, sounded like you were onto something promising! I wish I knew exactly what I'm looking at in those pics, guess I might have to break out my manual.. Just don't really have any reference as I wasn't able to get as far in my disassembly..
    Good luck with the search Raz, hope ya get it all worked out! I'll see if I can come up with anything on the cross reference too!

So I did some research and have a better understanding of the clutch assembly now.. But I'm having a hard time finding any info on that Koyo part #.. Do you have any measurements Raz?

40mm ID X 47mm OD X 20mm width
    rtperformance did a cross reference with NAPA and came up with BRG HK4020. If it crosses to any others please let me know.
    Raz

You know the Harley part #? I've got leads on a variety of manufacturers, all with part #s that begin with HK or BK.. Wondering how they might differ from one another.

IKO - HK 4020
    SKF - BK 4020
    INA - BK 4020
    INA - HK 4020
    VXB - HK 4020
    Isutami - BK 4020
    FAG - BK 4020
    Koyo RS40/20, which seems to have replaced K404720.

Buell part # is 9214
    Raz

Hey there Raz., nice pics By the way for those who may be new to Wrenching, never use a TorQue Wrench to Break anything loose that tool is only for finishing the tightening to Specs,.upon completion of work. OR you will never be able to trust it ever again to Torque or Re-torque bolts and the like..
    Most times especially transmission work in the primary area, it can be confusing when trying to diagnous the problem when it is a new to you deal!. Frankie, if you can just put the tranny back together when you can before you take it to the dealer due to they will have to so it can be diagnoused properly otherwise the cost will floor you at 90.plus dollars an hour.
    ASK them at the dealer if they have a way you could speak to a Buell Tech., before you tell them you have a bike for them to work on. This way you can get a feel for if they are Buell wise uhhh/ Friendly and such. Was hoping you would at least get it back together I figured it would eventually be taken to the dealer due to the postings, The cost will be much less expensive if all is put back, AND do not tell them you worked on it.
    JUST to be safe about that. Sometimes a trip to the Dealer before taking the bike there, and to speak about it so as to get a feel for the Service Dept;
    Some( not ALL)now the Dealers can not stand the Buells for to some techs., IF it isn't a Harley Davidson it shouldn't be in their shop.
    The Bigger V Twin Harley Bike Techs love the Simplicity of the cruiser, easy to work on then There is a Buell. Tucked up in there like an AirCraft with wheels Very Time Consuming. Not Knocking the Techs most love their jobs and such love the Big V Twins.
    We Buellers got the short end of the stick . I work on many models of bikes so the less you tell them about your working on the bike the less the dealer can say. I Hope you have a Buell Friendly Dealer and best of luck in your venture. I'm sure you will be fine.. *Jimi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast