Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch toast at 24k?

Is that dimension the thickness of the friction plate? Its been a while, but I don't remember the (or any) friction plates being over half an inch thick
    Yes, friction plates, but I'm sorry I skipped a decimal in my measurements; US imperial is my 'second language'!

Oh, one more thing to do, as you reassemble the clutch scuff the steel plates in two patterns (first a cross hash then a light circular). Do this with a piece of 320 grit sandpaper that you tape to a mirror or other piece of glass. If you have a granite gauge block this is best, but most people do not so I recommend glass. The glass will ensure that you only remove material evenly and help keep the flatness of the steel plates. Remember though, only scuff, this will also give you an indication if any of the plates have any distortion by "reading" the pattern left my the scuffing.

After a month-long delay due to a mix up whereby American Sportbike mistakenly sent me a voltage regulator, I finally received the Barnett clutch pack I ordered from them.

It's interesting to note that the Barnett friction pads are larger than those on the stock plates, providing more overall contact area.

A little note accompanied the kit which specifically warns NOT to use Harley's Formula+ fluid. It states that ATF should instead be used. I am comfortable following this recommendation considering that there's nothing in our XB's primary case that isn't also found in an automatic transmission (wet clutch pack, chain drive, gears etc), but does anyone know why Barnett would recommend against Formula+?

To bring closure to this thread, I got the new Barnett clutch pack in without incident. The only pieces which caught my attention were the adjustment screw assembly and ramp assembly, both of which seemed to have a bit more play in them that I expected, but I guess since they are held together with clips, this is normal (?).

Regardless, it's all buttoned back up and operating exactly as it should. I am now running ATF in the primary per Barnett's instructions. I cycled through a sacrificial litre (diluted 20% with kerosene) just to be sure any residual gear oil and/or sludge got flushed out, then refilled with a fresh litre of ATF. The ATF makes a NOTICEABLE improvement in cold shifting action, and so far I am pleased with the Barnett pack.

In retrospect, I am still a little confused about what the problem was in the first place. I am reasonably confident that it was the sludge noted above that caused the slipping. I am also speculating that the sludge itself was caused by the water which recently infiltrated my primary case documented here. Any agreements or rebuttals to my thoughts are appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12