Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How stuffed am I?

Okay, good deal, Hope it goes well, if beefed up and ceramic coated and you keep your hardware in good shape you might be able to nurse it along for a long time.

I feel your pain in your location, I used to have a American Muscle car (1963 Nova SS with a 327 V8) while living in Turkey and Germany. It was a serious PIA getting parts and anticipating my maintenance needs as well as a tight budget. I could order from the US but typically it was 4-6 weeks to arrive. On time an order was held up for a simple chevy fuel pump when the order guy wanted clarification on the fittings.... my answer was "I dont give a ****, just send a V8 fuel pump" sheesh,, if it had an extra port for a return id just block it off,,, sheesh, it held up the order and parts for a really long time. This was back before the internet was what it was.

Would you suggest internal and external coating?

A simple thing like plug wires took 3 weeks to get here from the States.
    I have made peace with the fact that it is an "exotic" over here and parts will be an issue, though the HD dealership is under contract to supply serviceable parts till 2019.

I just didn't expect some thing so big to go wrong so quickly! :p

Also got my over my fear of doing a header removal for ceramic coating. :D

oh 100% YES coat the inside and outside, the outside helps and protects the metal, not to mention looks really nice, but the inside is the most important. The inside coating provides a barrier from the flames and heat of the exhaust from going INTO the metal,, it cant help but get hot to some degree but a HUGE difference..

the exhaust heat and residue just slides right out of there without impacting the exhaust pipe metal much at all,

which is what you want.

just as an FYI,, I also restore vintage bikes, and when i rebuild or restore a bike, I keep old exhausts hanging up in my storage area,, we break in the bike and do all the tuning and adjustments on the bike with the crappy old exhaust, Then after 250-500 miles, I install the new pipes,, new chrome. (Triumph, BSA, Nortons)

But what We do is we take the new pipes down and have them ceramic coated just on the ID of the pipes, As a result the pipe temps stay low, and more importantly the Pipes DO NOT turn blue.

I get comments at bike shows and events. "Nice bike, shame he doesnt ride it" My buddy rode his 1940 Triumph Speed twin into the All British field meet, competed against Jags, MGs, Austin Healeys, several thousand cars and 48 bikes that year He TOOK best of show,. He rode it in to the event and rode it out of the event. Some of the Jags were pushed by hand into the judging area. I liked watching the looks on peoples faces...

So that should give you an idea of how much heat it cuts down by ceramic coating,, All Buels would benefit from it, The pipe wrap guys dont see why it just kills their exhaust to INSULATE the heat into the metal.

Ever see those cheap ass BBQ grills that are propane or gas fueled? Notice the burner elements and how they turn to powder after one season.?? Thats the best comparison i can think of.

I hope you can get yours repaired.

Cool!

Thanx for the advice and please post some of the other bikes!

I am sure the fix will work - if at least for another 4 years, then I will be happy!

No problem. You can see some bikes on our website for the local museum i volunteer at and I put on events there, as well as educational seminars and classes.

www.nwcarandcycle.com The friend i mentioned Tom Ruttan, with the 1940 speedtwin is the museum board president. He has a nice collection of bikes himself

Ill be posting soon another discussion thread involving Nortons which have a LOT in common with Buells and Harley not to mention Harley came very close on 3 occasions of purchasing Norton. (1970s, 1980s and 2006)
    Nortons were the first to commercially Rubber mount their powertrains and HD asked to copy it, when that didnt work EB designed their own system starting on the FXR. I have some of the prototype modern Nortons as well as all the CAD drawings, and engineer reports.

Im downsizing much of my own collection as well as selling some of the museum assets very soon.

Switching to XB12 headers should get a small boost in performance
    A little off topic but...Is that true Dean? I would expect a larger primary to decrease exhaust scavenging and reduce backpressure thereby reducing torque and hp?

Fixed!

Super nice job for about $US15.

At ceramic coaters at moment and should get it back by Wednesday and installing over weekend.

Looks like a very competent welding job, TIG or MIG? good job, hope this all works out for you

TIG. Yip, he is very good.

Excuse the blurry shots!

Told him not to grind down the welds as they will be hidden and I don't want to add more stress on that part of the header.

I am happy!

the welds look excellent, nope, dontgrind down the wlds, black? silver? nuclear blue ? on the ceramic coatings?
    should be happy with the results, post how it turns out, im happy for you

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast