Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2003 XB9S Multiple Problems

*UPDATE*

After reading a dozen or so threads about bikes having the same issue I decided to look into the ECM pinout differences between a 2003 XB9S and a 2006 XB9SX. On the surface everything looks the same, but there are differences:

2003 XB9S
    - Sidestand switch
    - NO exhaust valve motor

[11] Gray
    Pin Meaning
    1 +5 Volts Sensor Power Supply
    2 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
    3 Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS)
    4 Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor (O2)
    5 +12 Volts, Input (ECM keepalive)
    6 Cooling Fan Control (DDFI-2 only)
    7 Sensor Ground
    8 Vehicle Speed Sensor, Input (DDFI-2 only)
    9 Engine Temperature Sensor (ETS)
    10 Intake Air Temperature Sensor (IAT)
    11 Serial Receive (Rx, to ECM)
    12 Serial Transmit (Tx, from ECM)

[10] Black
    Pin Meaning
    1 +12 Volts Switched Ignition, Input (ECM power supply)
    2 Ground (ECM power supply)
    3 Fuel Pump Control
    4 Check Engine Lamp (CEL)
    5 Injector 1 (Front) Control
    6 Coil 1 (Front) Control
    7 Coil 2 (Rear) Control
    8 Injector 2 (Rear) Control
    9 UNUSED
    10 Bank Angle Sensor (BAS)
    11 Ground Coils
    12 Tachometer Output
    - ecmspy.com/pinouts.html

2006 XB9SX
    - NO sidestand switch
    - Exhaust valve motor

[11] Gray
    Pin Meaning
    1 +5 Volts Sensor Power Supply
    2 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
    3 Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS)
    4 Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor (O2)
    5 +12 Volts, Input (ECM keepalive)
    6 Cooling Fan Control (DDFI-2 only)
    7 Sensor Ground
    8 Vehicle Speed Sensor, Input (DDFI-2 only)
    9 Engine Temperature Sensor (ETS)
    10 Intake Air Temperature Sensor (IAT)
    11 Serial Receive (Rx, to ECM)
    12 Serial Transmit (Tx, from ECM)

[10] Black
    Pin Meaning
    1 +12 Volts Switched Ignition, Input (ECM power supply)
    2 Ground (ECM power supply)
    3 Fuel Pump Control
    4 Check Engine Lamp (CEL)
    5 Injector 1 (Front) Control
    6 Coil 1 (Front) Control
    7 Coil 2 (Rear) Control
    8 Injector 2 (Rear) Control
    9 Exhaust Valve Motor Feedback (DDFI-2, XB12 only)
    10 Bank Angle Sensor (BAS)
    11 Ground Coils
    12 Tachometer Output
    - ecmspy.com/pinouts.html

The 2006 XB9SX has a single shovel connector between the black and gray sockets of the ECM. This is the exhaust valve motor control (EVM). Yet, the 2003 XB9S ECM does NOT have this shovel connector because it doesn’t have an exhaust valve.

After digging a little deeper I found out the exhaust valve motor has two circuits. One circuit (send) activates the actual motor while the other circuit (feedback) relays information to the ECM in regards to the position of the camshaft (through the camshaft position sensor, or CPS), which allows the ECM to know when to open the exhaust valve.

Hold on to your butts.

Here’s what I’m thinking could be the problem(s):
    The bike currently has a 2006 XB9SX wiring harness and ECM in it. The 06 ECM is attempting to communicate with an EVM that doesn’t exist. Since the EVM has a circuit going through the CPS, I’ve been experiencing symptoms akin to that of a bad CPS.

I tried plugging in the 2003 XB9S ECM in to see if it would do any better. It did, but only slightly. There were a few pops, but still no start. This may be due to the 03 ECM looking for a signal from the side stand switch, but there isn’t one. Since there’s an 06 wiring harness in the bike there are no wires designated to connect to a side stand switch.

I’m thinking I have two options:
    1) Have the 06 ECM in the bike and program it to ignore the EVM.
    2) Have the 03 ECM in the bike and program it to ignore the side stand switch.

Thoughts?

Link to thread on Bad Weather Bikers: http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1379636261

Here’s a link to the most recent video of the bike starting: http://youtu.be/CiOZbnoG6dU

The only trouble code I'm getting is 16- low battery voltage. And that's after I've been cranking a few times.

wow, glad you're sticking with it... to you

with all the issues and having the wire harness removed, have you tried resistance check of the entire harness? yes, it's a lot of work, but may yield something there after replacing all those parts. worth trying, just my 2 cents.

I checked for resistance and continuity throughout the harness BEFORE I put it in. Nothing seemed out of place.

scratching my head dang, what could it be? itching to know so I can be prepared if it happens to my '03. rooting for ya to figure it out.

writing down cause and effect on legal pad trying to see where the problem is, don't think I've looked at the schematics this hard before

I have all the schematics for a 2003 XB9S but not a 2006 XB9SX. It would be helpful to have those since the harness is from an 06.

Trust me, these schematics and I have a very intimate relationship now. It may not be a good relationship, but it's very intimate

:D

Great diagnostic thread Smiles.. sorry for your issue(s) though.

Pull an injector and squirt into small container while cranking, check for atomization. Sounds like your cylinders are a bit fuel washed as fast as it is cranking.. could be timing?

As recommended by Andershdj on Bad Weather Bikers I put a shot (20mL) of ethanol down the throttle body to see what would come of it.

I forgot to record the first shot and I'm glad I did- the shot of gas got all over me.

The second shot was too grainy (don't know why).

Here's the video of the 3rd, 4th, and 5th shots of BP Premium: http://youtu.be/uETTMpgpaYE

The is now QUITE a bit of gray smoke throughout the garage.

I found out with ECMSpy you can turn the active muffler control and/or burn the map for the active muffler control. I'm thinking about turning it off to see what if there will be any changes (not burning, just turning it off).

I pulled off the fuel line from the throttle body and primed the engine, but not much came out (as you can see in the video. I primed the engine again, and about the same amount of fuel came out.

After priming the bike twice there was 45-50mL of gas that came out.
    Link to bike priming: http://youtu.be/QpmVcsP8TSY

I hooked the fuel line back up, put 40mL of gas down the throttle body, filled a squeeze bottle with fresh (purchased same day) gas, and got ready to test it out.

I felt if I had been faster with the squeeze bottle, had a larger bottle, or if the bottle had a larger spout the engine would have kept going. The engine pulled the bottle out of my hand and into the velocity stack, which caused the engine to die.

I noticed the bike ran a little longer with a larger amount of fuel (40mL instead of 20mL) and having the bottle being introduced.
    Link to bike starting (with squeeze bottle of gas): http://youtu.be/rq_KsDxaIk8

Also, there was A LOT of gray smoke from the bike, as you can see in the video.

I'm going to see if I can somehow get a larger and more steady amount of fuel introduced into the engine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast