Thread: 05 XB9SX Oil leak?

Hey guys, after having my bike for maybe a month now, something i was hoping not to happen has happened.. A Oil leak :( , Now i knew this would creep up on me since the mileage of the bike just hit 16k. So since it did i was wondering if anyone might have a clue where the leak is coming from? it seems like its somewhere by/under the starter. In the pic it seems dry, but thats 3 days of just standing no riding. if i was to ride then my whole motor would be covered in oil, but i used some break cleaner. Rode it for about 10 miles and parked it. Any help would be great, Because in about a day or 2, im about to take it all apart to find out the cause and fix the leak!

Check your rocker box gasket, its the base around the top of your jugs. Usually its on the back side where the leak starts but it all depends. Any questions just pm me.

That's where mine was leaking, quite a bit.. Replaced both rocker cover gaskets and PCV grommets and valves. I also removed my breather reroute mod, as I possibly installed it improperly, which may have contributed to the oil leak. Doing the gasket routine was pretty simple, but I couldn't have done it without this step by step guide on engine rotation. Take your time and be careful not to over-torque the cover bolts. I actually snapped one and had to extract it.. Stressful times. Other than that, piece of cake.

so can the rocker box gaskets be changed without the motor being rotated? mine has a slow leak in the back and i also need to do a primary cover gasket..

is their like a top end kit you buy to get the parts for the rocker boxes?

(Omiotek)No the motor has to be rotated. But don't let that intimidate you, I found a thread that was step by step with pics, I only bought the service manual for the torque specs. But its something that you need to fix trust me. The kit comes with front and back/ upper and lower. Even if your front jug isnt leaking replace it while the motor is rotated. You should also go ahead and replace your plugs and wires while they are easily reachable. They say the leaking problem is from jumping on your bike and riding all out before your engine is warm. IDK about that though. This job took me two days working on it really hard, but never having done it before, but it saved me a ton of money and doesn't leak any more. The one thing I was worried about but had a tip from harley mechanic was when removing and installing the rocker box covers to do all the bolts in quarter turns they are aluminum and you wont be able to see them bend but if they do you will never stop the leak. Other than that its just time consuming. Good luck if you have any questions pm me.

could be from the rear base cylinder gasket, stator grommet, rear push rod lower seal or upper o-rings, rocker box cover and or from the bolts holding the rocker box cover...

it would be easier to remove the frame than rotate the engine to get full access , just take your time and follow the maintenance manual