Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brembo Hidden Rear Master Cylinder

Some time ago I did the Brembo hidden rear caliper mod on my bike. I like that it looks cool and all. But on either one of my bikes it didn't stop the rear wheel as well as I would have liked. So I started some searching and found this old thread. I thought it might just be the ticket for me.

So I started doing some research on master cylinders and found I needed a Brembo PS13 master cylinder. Upon researching where to find one, I found KTM has been using them on many of their bikes for years. I also found KTM used some with integrated master cylinders. At some point I gave thought to the idea. Hmmm ...a hidden Brembo caliper and a hidden Brembo master cylinder might look trick and function well. I like they are both the same name brand. Given the write up in that thread, I decided to give it a try.

Here's the stock setup before I started for reference.

Here is the stock unit, a PS13 master cylinder with remote reservoir, and a PS13 integrated reservoir.

Here is the integrated reservoir (KTM Part# 54813060100) master cylinder mounted. It literally hides behind the heel guard.

The Buell master cylinder mounting screws worked perfectly. There was no adjustment needed.

The brake light switch threads are different between KTM and Buell. So I ordered a (KTM part# 50311051100) KTM rear brake light switch. When it comes in, I'll simply swap out the wiring connectors.

Tommorrow I will make a run to the hardware store to find parts to build the linkage.

Very cool! As it happens, I was rereading that same thread just the other day as one of my to-do list items. Please keep us updated.

Awesome idea! Have you looked to see if anyone sells different color anodized caps for the KTM unit?

This needs full write-up with all part numbers combined with the brembo hidden caliper!

Great work - and looks super sexy!!

I have looked to see if there were any color caps. I haven't found one yet. I would've liked to have a plain black one. Once I get my 3-D printer put together over the weekend, I'll try and print some covers to fit over the cap. I'll post the file on Thingiverse.com for anyone else that wants to print a cover as well.

I haven't received the rear light switch yet. It just shipped today. I wanted to ride my bike over the weekend. So I went ahead installed the master cylinder using a standard banjo bolt that came with the units. I used a long M6x1.00 bolt, trimmed off the head for the linkage. Here's a picture all put together.

I bled the brakes and went for a ride. I don't feel it honestly works any better than the original master cylinder. They feel the same. I'll do some tinkering over the weekend. But right now I can't say it's any better.

What is the bore of the KTM master cylinder? I bet it is the same as the XB cylinder. If so, there would be no difference in performance.

The bore should be 13mm. I'm not sure what the bore of the XB cylinder is.

I was thinking this mod might be interesting for guys who want to do a different tail other than a lightning or firebolt and don't know what to do with the master cylinder.

Awesome idea! Have you looked to see if anyone sells different color anodized caps for the KTM unit?
    Over the weekend I assembled my 3D printer, laid out a 3D model for the caps and printed them.

Yellow is the only color filament I have. I'll get some black ordered and print the final caps. There's a ton of plastic bolt covers I think I'll try and print up.

I received the KTM rear brake light switch today. The connectors were transplanted so it would connect up to the wiring harness. Notice how the wiring boot is at a 90 degree angle. That will help hide more of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast