Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2003 XB9s worth $3000

Damn!! I need me a buell!! So, I'm just gonna keep looking. I don't want to spend a ton, cause it is my first bike (ever) but I just might have to

I'm still on the hunt! I'm looking for xb9 or xb12

Hey 313, Im an old guy and Im gonna jump in here and piss people off because that's what old guys are supposed to do.. old guys love to warn other guys and show off our street wisdom. We cant see you and we don't know your temperament nor your personality so don't get pissed off with what Im gonna say.

Some guys don't do well starting out on bikes like the XB. The usual thing is to start a guy out on something like a 250 and he rides that for about 6 months, he makes his mistakes on a slower bike like that, earns his stripes, gets his basic skills then, when hes ready for more speed and power he moves up to something like XB or a 600. something like that.

What sometimes happens is a guy builds up some false confidence on a middle weight bike and one day the bike writes a check that the rider cant cash and he goes down at high speed, gets all busted up and walks away from motorcycling forever.

If you want a XB, go for it..but prepare yourself. Invest in real good equipment, body armor, helmet all that.. then try to find you a good old rider to run with for a while, some one who can coach you in the ways of street survival. Watch good online videos from guys that have a few years in... and watch your ass! Its dangerous out there and guys get seriously ****ed up or killed doing this.. this **** is no joke. We are all risking life and limb, some guys don't make it, some guys make it for a while and some guys make it to a ripe old age... it all depends of the mentality of the rider. Some guys just don't ****ing belong on two wheels, PERIOD! Youll see what Im talking about once you start riding..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNP8m1p0rR0

this young rider is crazy but he is absolutely correct..

Its dangerous out there and guys get seriously ****ed up or killed doing this..
    I'll second Gloom on this one. Riding is a sport you never stop learning, but your first season or two are when you develop your techniques & habits, good or bad. Larger bikes tend to slow a new rider's learning curve by shifting focus away from skill development, and towards simply managing the power & mass of the bike.

If you do decide you want an XB as your first bike, take lessons, an be aware of the handicap you are giving yourself.

Good luck and I hope you have as incredible & safe career as I have so far.

yes, all true! My first street bike was a 1988 Honda Hurricane 600...It totally overpowered me, I was white-knuckled and shaking in my boots at any speeds. It felt like It was going to fish-tail out from underneath me at any moment, I was scared to lean into the turns and I would "fixate" in a heartbeat. I rode it for like 3 days, and another guy in my Army unit, even swapped me for a 1990 Ninja 250, the difference was night and day. I could ride that 250 at twice the speed with pretty much total confidence in the first day of riding.

You don't want "too much, too soon"... but some guys see to get away with it. What youll have in your favor with the XB9 is that its as small as a 250 and about the same weight.. if you can handle the horse and the torque, you will be a lot better off than I was on that old Hurricane.. just watch your ass.

I plan on taking as many MSF courses as I can. I'm going to be buying the gear too and will take it really easy! I have no desire to go 80+ mph. I have tons of respect for a motorcycle! Not saying that, it will make me in a better position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=OFMtlLWt1oA

that was posted last night... take this to heart.

wavex had slowed down to about 40 or so by the time he it that rail... look what happens even at "low" speeds... this **** is no joke.

I really want it to ride to the store, maybe to the gym and just like a spree would be used, but I always had a love for buells since I worked at a HD dealer

I plan on taking as many MSF courses as I can
    Those courses work and they are worth every penny! In 4/5 motorcycle fatalities, the rider lacked formal training.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast