Thread: Help with my wife's Blast

My wife has a 2001 Buell Blast. As she was riding it one day beside me, it started sputtering and died. It would not recrank. After carb-cleaning and performing various troubleshooting steps, I was able to get it to start and idle. You can even ride it around for a couple minutes, but then whenever you try to give it gas, it chokes out. I know my way around bikes and did every single thing I could think of to fix this, with no results. I ended up taking it to a bike shop, and just got an email back from him that he is stumped and has given up.

This is what has been done to the bike trying to fix this issue:

1. Tank drained
    2. Fuel filter cleaned
    3. New fuel line
    4. New plug
    5. Carb cleaned
    6. Rejetted
    7. Float level set properly
    8. New boot

I am absolutely stumped. I mean this bike will idle perfectly for as long as you want it to idle, but if you give it gas after it heats up, it just chokes.

Here is the kicker. If you run it without the air cleaner assembly on it, and you slap your hand over the carb when it starts to choke out, it will start running again for a few more minutes. Jets right? Nope. All new jets.

Anyone have any ideas before I just shoot it?

when engines get hot and hesitate its usually a leak. intake, gasket, exhaust. spray brake cleaner around the head and boots see if their are air bubbles anywhere

Thank you for the response.

I have checked for leaks and have found none.

Try over at BRO, the mostly Blast-centric forum. From what you described, that sounds like a boot issue but you replaced it. Could also be a bad auto-enricher. They might be able to diagnose it over there. EZ or Jet should be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the reply. Can you point me to BRO? I am not familiar. Is that a forum?

BuellRidersOnline.com

You check your battery at all?

Try taking the gas cap off and see if you can gas on it...might be breather tube clogged

@wrongwayislost77 - Thank you very much for the plug. There's a ton more info there, than you'll likely find anywhere else.

-I don't know what your "carb cleaned" entailed, but all that is ever needed is to disassemble it and blow every orifice with carb cleaner followed by compressed air. Cleaning a Blast carb angers the Blast gods; you now need to dance naked around an oak tree.

-Look into the throat of the carb; is there a little silver thing sticking up that the needle slides down into? It should poke up about 1/8" into the air path.

-If that's okay, take apart the top of the carb and inspect the slide diaphragm for tears.

-Check your TPS by following the Factory Service Manual procedure. Unlikely it's the culprit, but if the other three haven't fixed it, it can't hurt to check.

-Check all grounds. Unbolt the grounds, scrub with a steel brush, wipe with acetone, re-assemble.

LOL - I'll buy it for 500!
    EZ:D:D:D