Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help/advice with plastics

I have a 2005 xb9sx with translucent blue plastics (windscreen and airbox cover).
    I want to change the look of the bike and would prefer black plastics.

My choices are buy black plastics (new or used) or paint existing plastics (outside or inside).

Would it be better to paint the inside of the airbox? I think so to avoid scuffs, etc.

Is there anyplace still selling xb9s plastics?

Thank you!

I say trade. Dont paint the translucents.

I have a pristine set of WHITE plastics on a 2003 XB9 R (Note Not a S) if that interests you. probably too much hassle to swap as its not a S, but perhaps you might find the R more attractive? Worth a shot, worse that can happen is you say no. Also the seat has been recovered in some sort of snakeskin type Red vinyl,

maybe that floats your boat. or not.

Honestly if I were in your situation, I'd sell the transparent blue ones. If they are in great shape, they command a slight premium over the black ones. Then turn around and buy the black ones. Also, the black plastics don't break as easy around the screw holes and are molded in black. So with any scratches they'll still show as black.

Personally, i'd sell and buy blue.

HOWEVER.... and I don't actually know how this would look.... maybe use car wrap vinyl on the inside. I was thinking black paint inside might leave it a REALLY dark blue, which might be kinda cool. Car wrap would be temporary, and you wouldn't be trashing any semi-rare parts.

but yeah, if you want straight black... sell/trade. Easier on you, someone who buys the blues will be deeply grateful.

Do not paint your blue plastics. Those are probably the most sought after plastics Buell ever made. You will have no problems selling them. I looked for months for my hero blue air box. Buy new/used black plastics.

Are there certain years of plastics that are not compatible with certain year bikes? I saw somewhere that some airbox covers don't fit certain years.

All years fit, the only difference between the years are 03-05 didnt have the mesh around the gascap, 06+ did because the hole in the frame from 03-05 was sealed up to increase fuel capacity.

Because I still haven't been able to make posting a video work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQiQhm6n4g

This should answer your question. It comes in every color/texture imaginable.

I work for a large format printer and work with installers on vinyl wraps. I can tell you that wrapping an airbox cover will not be easy. Wrapping the inside of an airbox cover without creases and wrinkleswill be impossible unless you are trained and very experienced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast