Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about my Buell..

So the story is that I popped off the oil return line in a low-side incident and it has been that way since February. I Drained all of the oil after the crash, then other complications arose. Now it's 7 months and $3200 dollars later. It has also been on a boat from Hawaii to Nashville. Arriving tomorrow in my driveway. I now have everything to my knowledge to have her fixed, but I'm worried about just filling it and going.

Is there a preferred method of cleaning these things out? I've read Kerosene, but also read it requires compressed air to flush it out. Which I don't have access to. Would mineral oil or mineral spirits work? I am very curious to hear the opinion of some pros.

I would do a multiple stage cleanout. Do the motor flush like you have read, but instead of kerosene, I would just do a lightweight oil like a 0W-20 or something, but DO NOT RIDE IT. I would follow similar directions as with the kerosene. Change oil filters with a cheap fram or something, refill with 20W-50 then ride it lightly to clean it out and warm it up. Come back, change out oil and filter again, for the last time. Refill with Amsoil, Redline, or a good, quality oil, get a good filter, and go on down the road.

If at anytime you hear loud knocking, chances are you have a clogged oil passage and you have no oil pressure to a lifter. TURN IT OFF immediately, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, try again. If the knocking persists, turn it off again, and it is time for a trip to the garage or shop because there is something in there it doesn't like, and likely won't work out.

^

Thanks for the advice. She'll be here within an hour or two and I'll be starting on this right away.

Good Luck.

did the bike come today?and did you have luck getting it going?

Yup came in today. Her and my new to me R1 that has been sitting for at least 4 years.

You don't happen to have any stands I could use for re-assembly do you ztled?

I got one i dont remember if it was front or rear though.bought it and never used it

PM sent ztled

So guess what? The front axle was bent! Yaaaaay!
    That brings the total to both forks, top and bottom triple, head bearings, and a fairing bracket in the front.

Update: Got some Mobil Super Syn 0W-20 and some marvel mystery oil for the clean, waiting on the axle and 2 filters from HD. Of course Amsoil for the fill.

She's mad at me, I can tell. Ha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast