Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning bike to run richer at idle

So my next project has been to enrichen the idle mixture. I don’t like running 14.7AFR at idle due to various reasons, namely the heat! The ECM will control the idle mixture when in closed loop for 14.7 AFR. In the past I just turned off closed loop completely but lost some of the benefits of closed loop. (Namely fuel economy at cruise) After playing around with the ECM I think I finally got the closed loop at idle turned off. By doing this the bike will idle in open loop at a richer mixture (for cooling purposes) and run in closed loop at cruise for fuel economy.

First I turned off closed loop idle in the configuration.

Second I changed the lower and upper boundaries of the closed loop region. Instead of closed loop region starting at 600 rpm, it now starts at 1250 rpm.

Next I changed the O2 activation rpm from 600 rpm to 1250 rpm.

Then I changed the TPS activation setting from 0 (0%) to 10 (4%) throttle.

Finally I richened up the front and rear fuel maps at idle with a target around 13.8 AFR. Why 13.8 AFR. Because 13.5 sounded too rich and 14.0 sounded too lean. Ok honestly I need to do some empirical testing to determine what difference the AFR makes on engine, exhaust, and frame temps at idle. Right now I am just hip shooting so feel free to adjust your AFR as you would like.

Here is the spreadsheet you can download to see the work that I did and make your own adjustments. This also has the idle rpm adjustments as well. For the fuel maps I imagine most of you will use your tuning software but I added the hex data of mine for reference.

Brett

Inactive
    brett: PM'ed you. thanks very much for the info and the help. see PM. you're the man.

So is the bike running better/cooler? I've been wanting to do more tuning but haven't had any time to learn. You are doing all the adjustments at the eeprom? or am I misunderstanding?

I have been out of town up in Detroit for work but yes it does make a difference. A noticeable difference temp wise. When I get some time I want to run some empherical testing but seat of the pants you can tell. Even just watching the header no longer glow!

Correct. I am changing the hex data in the EEPROM then upload the changes into the EEPROM. Feel free to ask questions and I will try to help you out. What bike do you have? Got a cable yet? Software?
    Brett

Nice seems like you have it figured out.

Also for reference that spreadsheet will only work for the BUEZD EEPROM. The eeproms before and after have the settings in different locations. You would need to go to ECMSPY to find out where the locations are at for your particular eeprom.

Yes I really think this is the way to go. Before I just shut off the O2 and ran 13.5 across the board tapering to 13.2 at WOT. Took the hit in fuel mileage for the reduction in temps. But now as I am expermenting more and becoming more comfortable with modifying the ECM I have come to realize we can do anything we want to it. We have full access and can change anything and everything. The time consuming part is figuring out what values are located where and what changes need to be made to get the desired results.

I still want to run closed loop when on the expressway or cruising for the fuel economy and enviornment. But at idle I want a richer mixture for smoother idle, smoother roll-on, and less heat. (In my opinion stoich is too lean at idle for an air cooled motor.) If I lived in the desert or where temps hit a 100 regularly I might even run richer at cruise but for our cooler weather up north I am happy at 14.7 for cruise.

I have thought about charging to do this stuff but its a hobby and I believe in the freedom of information. If ECMSPY never shared their information I would never be able to do what I do. So here I am passing it along to the next Bueller and offering my work to others. Enjoy!

Thanks man. I was told never to adjust the eeprom though, so that's nerve racking lol. Can't you do it via the maps?

Its like everything in life. If you are careful and methodical you can do it just fine. But if you are careless and say fat fudge a number and now at 5,000 RPM you have zero fuel then of course you are going to have problems. Expensive problems! LOL.

If you just adjust the maps without turning off the idle closed loop then the bike is just going to compensate for the changes you made.

Ie. Say I made it richer at idle just by increasing the fuel in the map. After the bike warms up and goes into closed loop the bike will recognize it is running rich (by the O2 sensor) and lean it back out to get back to the desired 14.7 AFR.

So I turned off the closed loop at idle and increased fueling in the map to get it to run richer at idle. So my bike no longer goes into closed loop at idle. Instead at idle it will only fuel what I have programmed it to and will not compensate to get back to 14.7 AFR.

I completely understand but I guess I should have been more clear, is there another way to adjust the parameters of closed loop/open loop other than the eeprom?

Well changing it in the eeprom is the best method. Other methods include a piggyback tuner that alters the signal from the 02 sensor to fool the ecm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast