Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuning bike to run richer at idle

ok thanks. that's what I wanted to know, that there is no other "menu" to do it in ecmspy other than the eeprom.

I might give it a shot...just afraid of screwing up lol

btw, how'd you figure out what cells and numbers mean what?

I don't use ECMSPY itself. I program manually and use excel spreadsheets. Old school.

First I go to the ECMSPY website to determine where in the EEPROM are the particular controls, ie a fuel map, fan turn on temperature, active muffler configuration, etc.

Then I take the Hex data that is in that byte or bytes and convert (and interpret) it to decimal that I can understand. I change that data and then convert it back to Hex data. I change the setting to the new Hex data and upload the change to the bike. I write it in Excel so when I make a change it shows me what the hex data should be. Makes it easy. You can download my Excel spreadsheet to see what I mean. Change a temp or rpm and notice how it changes to Hex data. You can also look at the excel formula to see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
    I don't use ECMSPY itself. I program manually and use excel spreadsheets. Old school.

First I go to the ECMSPY website to determine where in the EEPROM are the particular controls, ie a fuel map, fan turn on temperature, active muffler configuration, etc.

Then I take the Hex data that is in that byte or bytes and convert (and interpret) it to decimal that I can understand. I change that data and then convert it back to Hex data. I change the setting to the new Hex data and upload the change to the bike. I write it in Excel so when I make a change it shows me what the hex data should be. Makes it easy. You can download my Excel spreadsheet to see what I mean. Change a temp or rpm and notice how it changes to Hex data. You can also look at the excel formula to see how it works.
    Lawdog hello.
    I am maybe bringing an old thread back to life.
    I understand what you´ve managed to do in order to enrichen idle: you just stopped the ECM to apply a correction to the idle area, making closed loop start in RPM range above idle. But what if you wanted to enrichen the other parts of the map, for instance, open loop that we all know it is good to have 12.8 or 13.0 AFR for better performance. How would you accomplish that?
    I have mapped my ECM with TunerPro logging and my full map now runs stoich, as I can see in history tables that EGO correction is very close to 100.00 in all TPS x RPM cells. But besides that I do not have the power I used to in my older map, before logging and applying the EGO correction. What I mean is, now I have a map that doesn´t require EGO correction, superb. However, the engine is not as powerful as it used to be before the tunning.

I had one idea but am not sure if it works: map the closed area to aim for 100.00 EGO correction (meaning no correction at all) and then apply say 15% more fuel to the open loop area. This way AFV will not apply correction to the base map, so when I twist the throttle I´ll have a richer map been applied when engine reaches open loop area. But my doubt is: as soon as it reaches the richer part of the map, won´t EGO correct that, making it leaner and bringing it back to 14.7 AFR?

Any ideas on that?

In very simple terms when you are in closed loop the EGO is constantly adjusting/changing to maintain stoich (14.7). When you are in closed loop learn the bike will adjust the AFV to match the EGO after so many EGO corrections. In car tuning EGO would be your short term fuel trims and AFV would be your long term fuel trims. In open loop the bike will be using the AFV to determine how much fuel to use. In open loop learn at WOT the bike will only add fuel if it see's you are lean from the O2 sensor. It will not remove fuel. The only time in open loop it will remove fuel is when you are in open loop learn, decelerating, and the bike reads a rich O2 sensor. So if you add fuel to your WOT areas of the map the bike won't read a rich O2 and remove fuel.

So generally speaking you tune the closed loop areas of the map to run at 14.7 and 100 AFR which it sounds like you already did. Now use a wideband(s) to tune the open loop areas to your preferred AFR. Once done the bike will run in closed loop at 14.7 and in open loop at your desired AFR. If you have a good tune the bike will make small global corrections to the AFV in closed loop learn but it will not drastically change your open loop regions.

Quote Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
    In very simple terms when you are in closed loop the EGO is constantly adjusting/changing to maintain stoich (14.7). When you are in closed loop learn the bike will adjust the AFV to match the EGO after so many EGO corrections. In car tuning EGO would be your short term fuel trims and AFV would be your long term fuel trims. In open loop the bike will be using the AFV to determine how much fuel to use. In open loop learn at WOT the bike will only add fuel if it see's you are lean from the O2 sensor. It will not remove fuel. The only time in open loop it will remove fuel is when you are in open loop learn, decelerating, and the bike reads a rich O2 sensor. So if you add fuel to your WOT areas of the map the bike won't read a rich O2 and remove fuel.

So generally speaking you tune the closed loop areas of the map to run at 14.7 and 100 AFR which it sounds like you already did. Now use a wideband(s) to tune the open loop areas to your preferred AFR. Once done the bike will run in closed loop at 14.7 and in open loop at your desired AFR. If you have a good tune the bike will make small global corrections to the AFV in closed loop learn but it will not drastically change your open loop regions.
    I cant wait to hear his response.

Just when I thought nothing could be more interesting that watching Canadian Parliament on C-Span, this thread comes along.

Over 3 years for a question and 5 years for a response...

The answer is 42

Yeah I took a sabbatical for a few years before coming back to the forum (and riding). I am sad to see the forum is not near as active as it use to be and my friend Ich is no longer active. LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12