Thread: Electronics noob: Brake light doesn't activate with front brake..

I have terrible luck when it comes to electronic issues so maybe one of you can help me. I just noticed that my brake light doesn't activate when I use my front brake, only my rear. Any suggestions on what I can check to try and fix this? Any photos would be greatly appreciated as I'm a dunce with wiring.

Yes there is a little switch that your front brake pushes a button it screws into your handle bar. Mine went out once. I will see if I can find a pic.

Hope this helps you!

With the key on you should have power on one terminal, and only on the other terminal when you squeeze the lever.

No power? Check your fuses.
    Constant power only on one? Replace switch.
    Tests ok? check the plug (black one I believe) behind the wind screen. (Same wire colors as the switch).

The front brake lever switch is inexpensive and easy to replace. You unplug two wires from it and take it off with one bolt. Be aware there are two different types that have been used by Buell and you need to make sure you get the proper one. American Sport Bike has both styles. To test, you can start the bike, unplug both wires from the switch and touch the two wire connectors together which will simulate the switch closing. If your brake light comes on, you have a bad switch. You might have to use a straightened out paper clip to touch to both wires in order to connect them together.

Thanks everybody. My wires that connect to the switch are housed in a plastic box and I found that I can get the lights to work if I pull the wires out a bit and put pressure in a certain direction where the box/wires connect to the switch so I'm thinking it might just be a dirty connection. I'll try cleaning the connection tonight and hopefully that will work. I noticed the plug ends on my switch are about half as long as those in the picture that djsK2K posted. Maybe just a different version?