Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightning Electronics IN Airbox

OK....I got excited over Nicholas900's airbox mod on his Firebolt. I just had to start it on my Lightning as well.

There's a couple reasons I wanted to do this. First, with the electronics moved to air box, the tail is left empty. That means it will be perfect for under seat storage. Storage is something Lightning's just don't have. The second reason is, I want to be able to experiment with different tails. But I don't want to worry about the placement of the electronics every time. My goal is to get swapping a tail down to simply 4 bolts and plugging in the rear lighting.

So today, I cleaned out under my air box. I then folded the wiring under the shock and had it enter the air box from the right side. Then I started working on my template. Once this mod is complete, I will upload a copy of a master template in case anyone else wanted to do the same thing to their Lightning. One nice thing about this mod will be the grounding. The ground will be made directly to the engine-chassis ground strap instead of the stock lightning tail subframe. Hopefully this will improve the ground situation.

I realize all of the stock components are not going to work. So this mod is going to require a few things to be downsized. First is the air box. Thanks to Nicholas900 for finding an air cleaner that will work. The filter he is using and the one I chose is a K&N RA-077V Universal Air Filter.

Also downsized is the battery. I chose an Antigravity AG-1601 Lithium Nano-Phosphate battery. It has a relatively low weight and small size. And since it is recommended for cranking over bikes up to 1600cc on a daily basis. I figure it should be able to handle my 1203cc without the hesitation my stock battery gives me. While I was at it, I also ordered a lithium charger for it as well.

That's my progress today. I'll keep you up-to date as I go!

I like seeing people experiment with ideas and be creative. And I am not trying to rain on your parade here, but have you given much thought to the practical engineering aspects of what you are doing on this mod?

Most vehicle designers try to isolate electronic components AWAY from the engine, Heat and vibration both are very hard on electronics. Look carefully at competition cars (real race cars) they typically rubber mount sensitive electronics and try to shield them as much as possible from Engine heat. Nascar, F1, Indy, Transam series, Dragsters all mount the electronics in the drivers compartment away from heat sources.

The Airbox on a Buell was a 3 fold design stock. #1 isolate and dampen engine noise IE:Valvetrain, #2 isolate and dampen intake noise (quite loud actually, run one without any airbox at all and you will see) #3 direct and manage Intake air flow both for velocity and flow as well as cooling.

I totally get the idea of people IMPROVING air flow for the engine and AND COOLING, and in most cases compromise for noise. But I was wondering if you are looking at these issues. Dont think i am criticizing you ,,, It just a general question of what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks for the post. I have given some thought to the heat, vibration, and noise aspects of the mod. I've thought about doing this for over a year. And I do have plans for an insulator under the base plate.

The main item I'm concerned about is the battery with regard to heat and vibration. The manufacturer of the battery I chose states heat and vibration is not an issue for their product as it is in other batteries. I want to see it to believe it so I ordered it. I feel heat and vibration are the main problems with the stock battery. Its a standard battery and look where Buell put that thing. It's right behind rear exhaust port with a fan blowing hot air from there right to it. If the other items see a bit more heat, it wont be enough to affect them. So I'm not concerned.

I'm not really concerned about noise either. Above is a picture of the chopped down air box setup I ran with two bikes over the last couple of years. When I did the open air box mod, the only additional noise I found was the sound of air sucking into the butterfly. If anything, with the insulator, noise might be better than what I had.

In short, when I do one of these mods, they are an experiment of sorts. I realize there's some risk when I do them. If one doesn't work, I try to leave myself a way to go back to the former baseline. I'll then rethink it and try something else. Either way, I will be as honest as I can about my results and post them on the forum.

Thanks again for your post. It's the sharing of thoughts, experiences and ideas that make it worthwhile for me to come here.

can't wait to see this one. Have you looked at the ballistic battery for small size and weight? http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc.../batteries.php

If not u might be able to use this foam adapter cut down to keep the heat and vibration down. http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...ories/foam.php

Glad you didnt take my post the wrong way, I actually went back and tried to remove it. Looks like you have it covered. I didnt think you or most Buell owners were worried about Intake noise, I just mentioned it as I read several articles stating that both Harley and EB did a LOT of work on both Sportsters and Buells to quiet down these clanky motors. The difference between these motors and an old Iron head is substantial.
    My biggest concern was the electronics themselves.
    I was really impressed with the specs on that battery you chose. Not cheap but impressive specs none the less.
    Be interested how it turns out.

Looks good. Glad my idea helped get your gears turning. I also thought about heat and vibration. I used rubber iso pads for the ecm and fuse/relay boxes. As for the heat I'm still thinking about it mostly because I have my ecm under there too. Dynomat has a material that looks promising. I might look further into that. I'm not overly concerned about it, but do want to attempt an effort to reduce the heat alittle bit.

I have a ballistic evo12 cell going in my tail. Its small and light. Actually, its so light I thought they sent me an empty box!

I'm looking forward to see how you build yours. Its fun to watch somebody else do the same thing and see how their brain works lol. The template was the hardest part. I used typing paper and rubbed the outline of the frame and fastener locations with a lead stick.

The tie bar/ground bar is a little tricky. I split 1" tubing in half and welded that in so it clears the tie bar.

Good luck with it! Nice bike BTW.

I've been hard at work on this project. I used my template to make a test piece out of steel. Everything is mounted up and it all fits under the air box. I haven't received the air filter yet. It's scheduled to should arrive on Monday. So I'll work on the intake then. At the moment I don't see a reason it won't fit.

Even though this part is steel the final part will be made of carbon fiber. I chose carbon fiber because it's lighter, stronger, more flexible and doesn't hold heat like steel does. Tomorrow, I will do some work on the wiring and try to get it started.

Looks good man. How's it coming along?

I did finally finish this project up over the winter. Here's carbon fiber unit installed.

Now I can install any tail I want quickly by loosening 4 subframe bolts, loosening the reservoir mount and change over the license plate.

That looks sweet man great job keep it up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast