Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: i call b.s.!!!!!!

A race plug on a blast:D

Wrong. A weak spark may be strong enough for a small mixture at idle but not strong enough for a WOT mixture.
    Remember, we're talking about a Blast here. It's not the world's most high-performance engine. I agree with you that on a motor with lots of compression, advance & revs, yes, a weak spark will compromise performance, but it's much less likely on a small simple engine like this.
    None the less, it's worth trying another plug in case the OP got a bad one. And a bad sidestand switch ain't gonna 'weaken' the spark either; it'll simply cut it altogether.
    NEVER adjust the gap on a Denso Iridium Racing, you'll damage the anode.
    Hmmm, how did we conclude the OP is using a Denso? Last post I read, it was an NGK? Did I miss something?

WTF??? 36$?
    I run NGK iridium in everything I own (except the lawnmower) and I have never paid over 7$ per plug!
    5 cylinder blast???

WTF??? 36$?
    It's expensive to produce all that fancy marketing to convince folks they'll get a 10% horsepower increase just by using iridium plugs in their street vehicles!

There's a misconception (encouraged by manufacturers of expensive plugs) that 'racing iridium plugs' will produce more power than OEM plugs. The main performance benefit of iridium as used in street vehicles, is extended service life.

In modified race engines, optimized for performance, and running very high revs & compressions, race plugs offer a more precisely placed spark, and cooler heat range. A race engine can take advantage of these characteristics, but they will not be of any benefit to a stock engine not designed for such a plug.

Indeed, as the OP discovered, race plugs may actually be detrimental to a stock motor.

if they're the NGK's my blast ran better with them it never died like he is saying. Sounds like it's something with the plug to me.

And anyone that pays 35 for one of those plugs (if it is an NGK) should probably pay someone else to install them, they obviously are clueless about what they've done.

I tried the Iridiums in my Bolt (Not at $36, either!) and it ran like crap. I think it may have been because I was still rebuilding it, and the plugs may have fouled from frequent short runs. I put the old plugs back in, and they worked great. They're still in there

Remember, we're talking about a Blast here. It's not the world's most high-performance engine. I agree with you that on a motor with lots of compression, advance & revs, yes, a weak spark will compromise performance, but it's much less likely on a small simple engine like this.
    None the less, it's worth trying another plug in case the OP got a bad one. And a bad sidestand switch ain't gonna 'weaken' the spark either; it'll simply cut it altogether.
    You might not understand who YOU'RE talking to here. I know Blasts better than you know the back of your hand.

A bad sidestand switch would kill spark entirely when the clutch is let out while in gear.
    Hmmm, how did we conclude the OP is using a Denso? Last post I read, it was an NGK? Did I miss something?
    If he paid $35, it's a Denso. NGK Iridium is a $7 plug.
    It's expensive to produce all that fancy marketing to convince folks they'll get a 10% horsepower increase just by using iridium plugs in their street vehicles!

There's a misconception (encouraged by manufacturers of expensive plugs) that 'racing iridium plugs' will produce more power than OEM plugs. The main performance benefit of iridium as used in street vehicles, is extended service life.

In modified race engines, optimized for performance, and running very high revs & compressions, race plugs offer a more precisely placed spark, and cooler heat range. A race engine can take advantage of these characteristics, but they will not be of any benefit to a stock engine not designed for such a plug.

Indeed, as the OP discovered, race plugs may actually be detrimental to a stock motor.
    The OP is saying NGK Iridium Race...the suggest Iridium Race plug is a Denso. Both the Denso Iridium Racing plug and the NGK Iridium have been used on stock engines without detrimental effects. There have also been known-bad plugs in each brand. Since the OP is using confusing terminology, it's difficult to tell which plug he is actually using.

go_cytosis ... just don't comment if you don't know the engine, or you're going to be made to look really stupid really fast.

If the OP is indeed using an NGK Iridium Racing plug, please provide the model number so we can figure out if you're even using the correct heat range. The only recommended Iridium Racing plug to use is the Denso IXU01-27 and you can feel a difference when going from an OEM plug to the Denso; they're also almost impossible to foul.

Again, a spark is not a spark. You can have a weak spark or a strong spark. A weak spark may idle, but when load is applied it may not be strong enough to ignite the larger charge. If you knew anything about real engine tuning and diagnostics, that would be it. The fact you're saying "A spark is also a spark, at idle or at WOT." shows just how ignorant you really are.

go_cytosis, you're out of your element here.

The NGK plug to use in a Blast is a DCPR9EIX. Every manufacturer has faults and all plugs have been known to have a bad one every now and then.

However, the OP clearly describes a faulty kickstand switch:
    -Put kickstand down
    -Put in new plug
    -Put kickstand up
    -Bike doesn't run right
    -Put kickstand down
    -Put in old plug
    -Put kickstand up
    -Bike runs right

You have two options, a bad plug or a faulty kickstand switch. Since you spent $35 on a new plug, do the FREE diagnostic test and eliminate the kickstand safety switch from the equation.

THIS ISN'T ****ING ROCKET SCIENCE GUYS!!

Jet, I probably am the most stupid & ignorant guy who's ever walked the face of the earth, but it appears I still know something about motorcycle mechanics that you don't. Getting yourself all worked up into a hysterical rage has never, ever, fixed a bike. :p

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast