Thread: Front muffler mount missing, etc.

So on the weekend, I lost the exhaust header nuts for the front cylinder of my 2009 XB9SX during a ride.

So, today I went out and picked up some replacement nuts. I torqued them down properly and grabbed a coffee and smugly decided to go out for a ride. Everything seemed spot on and running well, so I grabbed a few fists full of throttle and suddenly a high pitched vibration appeared in the pegs and bars. The vibrations are intense enough to numb hands and feet.

Puzzled, I looked over the bike and realized that it had no front muffler mounting at all! I looked back through the photos of when I picked up the bike back on July 29th, and there is no front strap there! It appears that the previous owner forgot to put it back together correctly when swapping back the original exhaust when I bought it.

I checked the header for cracks and the bolts again and everything appears to be in order. I've ordered replacement parts from American Sportbike.

My questions are:
    1) Is it likely that the sudden onset of vibrations is related to related to the missing muffler mounting hardware?
    2) Is it likely that I loosened the clamp/connection between the header and muffler by "goosing" it causing the vibrations?
    3) I've ridden about 2100 miles since I've had the bike in this configuration. What are the chances of damage to other components?

Any other insights would be appreciated.

The vibration more than likely sent the bolts flying and finally vibrated the bolt out of the strap. As far as damage, I would think most of it would be cosmetic. The previous owner apparently didn't tighten anything down. You said the new header bolts went in and that would probably be my only concern without knowing more. However, I would check every friggin' bolt on that thing just in case he did any other work.

This is just advice: get new mount, get new bushings
    http://www.americansportbike.com/sho...how/17549.html
    Grade 8 bolt for mounting, the proper strap....to start.

The next suggestion sucks, get replacement exhaust studs and nuts (at the engine) if they havent broke already they will soon, and they are a bitch to change, but will save you a lot of trouble down the road.

I am simply amazed how far you have gone without a front muffler strap, with no damage. Im almost certain something else broke like rear studs, or even a hair line crack you havent noticed.

Theycallmecrash:
    I ordered everything from AmericanSportbike. New strap, bracket, nut, bolt, and bushings, because none of it was there. Thanks for the advice. I will look into new studs and some stage 8 locking nuts, but the job looks like a bear to do. I will thoroughly check everything else as well.

08herobolt:
    Yes, wise words to check and double check everything.

As they say, Loctite Blue is your friend, and Loctite Red is your friend forever!

As they say, Loctite Blue is your friend, and Loctite Red is your friend forever!
    I'm going to go through a $hitload of Loctite Blue working on this bike.

Finally got it buttoned together just in time for a cool and rainy weekend.

I did take some time to install CRG mirrors. :)