Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what is involved in a TPS reset??

I own a 2003 XB9S, just sent my stock exhaust off to Kevin to get the drummer exhaust, i have read that i wll need a TPS reset done on my bike, my harley delaership charges me 2 hrs of labour at $75/hr. I was wondering if there is anything i can do myself to reduce the labour time. Is this something that requires the bike to be physically there or can i take the ECU in for them to work on? help me out fellas. this is my first buell, i have worked on metric bikes all my life but dont know much about the buell. I ca take the whole bike apart and put it back together,no probs, but this TPS thing is throwing me in a loop!

ECMSpy.com - has a free downloadable program so that you can do the TPS Reset yourself. The site contains important and detailed information on it's use and even has a downloadable manual that explains the reset step-by-step. Just be sure to read up everything you can about it, before you dive in. It is a wonderful tool but if you're careless you could even fry the ECM. Xoptiinside.com also has some great info as well as this forum. It's a heavily discussed topic on here if you use the search function; "exhaust upgrade", "ecmspy", "tps reset", etc.

I already read about the ECMSpy option, but like you mentioned there is too much risk involved, as far as"frying my ECM!" Can i just take my ECm in to do the TPS reset, or does it have to be hooked up to the bike to do the reset? (i think it does)

I'm sure someone in your area can help you out.. Where do you live?
    TPS Reset has to be the easier way to get free beer, EVER.

I'd always be willing to help out a fellow Bueller in Denver.

A TPS reset is done on the bike since you are basically just resetting the throttle position. I use ecm spy and don't worry about frying my ECM, it works the same way a dealer would hook up their diagnostic program to do a TPS reset. It also doesn't take anyware near 2 hours to do. Maybe 10 minutes, if that factoring in waiting for the computer to boot up....

Here is a link to buy the cable, It can be purchased cheaper else ware, from an individual on here or another board, or build the cable yourself like I did.
    http://www.americansportbike.com/sho...how/A9317.html

Goodluck

Your ecm has to be in the bike to do a reset. Doing a reset is simple you won't hurt anything doing it yourself. First thing you need to do is get yourself a cable to connect a pc to your bike and download the ecmspy program. You can do both of those things here xoptiinside.com or check ebay for the cables there usually on there. After you have done that jump back up on the forum and there are tons of people on here that will explain to you how to do it (myself included).

I am taking the plunge! i just bought myself a ecm spy cable, it should be here some time next week. It is going to be atleast a week or two before Kevin can get my drumer exhaust done and shipped back to me, did a litle closer read up on the TPS reset, seems fairly simple (definitely not worth paying $150 to the harley stealership)

rhpaw! thanks for offering to help, really appreicate it! i am in Wichita, KS (a.k.a, middle of nowhere!) so i be on my own on this one!

I will keep you guys posted how it goes!

On a side note, do i really need the race ECM or can i make do with the stock ECM and K&N filter for the drumer exhaust? I have read here that it is not really necessarry (will save me about $250 if i dont need the race ECM)

You can enter in the timing and fuel maps of the race ecm to your stock ecm and save yourself the $250. Download at the bottom of the page http://xoptiinside.com/downloads

BUT, you will have to manually enter the values into your own base map. You can't just load the race map eprom you download.....

Straight from the Tech Manual:

Resetting the TPS on 08+ Buells
    Resetting the TPS on 08+ Buells does not require external Software to perform a TPS reset, but
    DirectLink can be used to confirm that it is set correctly. The 08+ Buells are equipped with Idle
    Air Control logic, and the idle air and speed is under ECM control. The fully closed butterfly
    position is set by a stop that is cast into the throttle body, and there is no external throttle position
    stop screw.
    To reset an 08+ Buell, do the following:
    1. Turn on the key.
    2. Set the kill switch to the run position.
    3. Don’t start the engine. Rotate the throttle from fully closed (gently forced closed) to fully
    open (gently held open), and then back again to closed (gently forced closed).
    4. Repeat 3 times. Hold each position (fully open, fully closed) for 1 full second.
    5. Turn the key off and on.
    6. If you connect to Directlink, a fully closed throttle should indicate 3.7 to 4.2 degrees. If it
    doesn’t, repeat the above steps.

His bike is an '03....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast