Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: diggin in :)

so finally got a place to work on my bike !!! woot!!! anyway, i plan on stuffing a big tire in the rear.
    this means i will be modding the swing arm shock mount area to add clearance for said meat. this will
    be happening soon and even sooner if i can locate a tire for cheap :)

decided to make a new intake the other night, i will post a pic once i am off work.

What size tire do you think you're going to fit on these 16" wheels?

If you're going to 17" wheels, are you doing a chain conversion as well?

You DIY'd your intake? Details and pics please. There's only a couple air filters that flow enough air for the 500 thumper; pretty much any off-the-shelf filter is inadequate, including K&N.

the filter i have is a k&n 3" inlet, filter demensions are roughly 6 wide/ 5 tall/ 3" top width(cone shaped).. it has more than enough air flow for my needs and then some.
    i am looking at a 170/70r16.. depending on what i find size wise and what i can fit on the rim, all i need is the tire in my hands and i can make the rest of the magic happen.

all i need is the tire in my hands and i can make the rest of the magic happen
    Will you be widening the rim too? I suspect you’ll have some difficulties (both fitment & performance) with a 170 tire on a rim designed for a 120.

no, its pretty much going to be the largest tire i can sqeeze on the rim.. i may end up in the 150-160 range but i will only know once i look at some tires.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69...914_160159.jpg
    here is the before..
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69...0/IMAG1800.jpg
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69...0/IMAG1801.jpg
    after.. i wipped this up the other night after work, it needs a little clean up and i will get a close up for you guys tonight.

Can't view pictures from work, so I'll have to wait till I get home to see them.

What's your end-goal in going with the wider tire?

It's going to lengthen your wheelbase. That along with the wider tire will negatively effect the handling and snappy lean-in.

Are you going with a wider front tire as well, or keeping the 110?

how would a wider tire effect wheel base? the wheel mounts in the exact same spot so center to center is the same..
    if there is an increase its due to the hight of the tire, it will be marginal.. i want to change the look of the bike, and i want more of a tread base on the rear. but mostly for aesthetics...
    the tire up front will be stepped up a little but not much, its new so i am just going to leave it be, the rear tire is done, so i will be replacing it with the larger one

mostly for aesthetics
    If this is your only consideration, then go for it, but you should also give some thought to:
    - a bigger outside diameter will increase your final gearing
    - more rotating mass will slow acceleration and braking
    - more un-sprung mass will slow the rear suspension action
    - the radius profile of the tire's section is going to be substantially different which will affect turn-in

As Dirty Harry once said, "That's a helluva price to pay for bein' stylish." :D

Yeah I have considered most of those, the bikes not a rocket to begin with... I will probably barely notice any of these items, I do plan on adding some cams and 515 kit and carb down the road.. but that's another story..
    The only price I will be paying is for the tire its self.. I can do the rest in an afternoon..
    Pics to come once I locate said tire.. I will keep yah updated..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast