Thread: Firebolt ticking noise and clutch

I FINALLY got the new tires and belt on my 'bolt! Yah!! Due to lack of free time, I farmed it out to a highly recommended independent mechanic I recently found. Honest guy, fair prices, excellent work! So I asked him about the ticking noise (sounds like a clock when she reaches operating temp) and he said the same as what a lot of the forum members have said - don't worry about it if it's just a ticking noise. So, that made me feel better... thought I'd share that for the benefit of others who have the noise too. The other thing I asked him about was the clutch... another issue I've seen some posts on. The bike shifts fine but can't be moved with the engine off, in gear and the clutch pulled in. he said thats also common and doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem with the clutch or that it's out of adjustment (I just adjusted it myself). He said to just put it in neutral - LOL - or push harder and it will move. He demonstrated, sitting on my bike, and he did move it. So hopefully my feedback will give a couple of you peace of mind. Now he's got one more thing to do on the bike before I get it back.... can't wait to get her back!!!

I asked him about the ticking noise (sounds like a clock when she reaches operating temp) and he said...don't worry about it if it's just a ticking noise.
    An air-cooled pushrod motor is bound to make what might be described a “ticking noise” so I agree it’s likely nothing abnormal, although in my experience such valvetrain sounds tend to loudest when the engine’s cold, and quieten once moving parts are warm and the oil’s circulating.
    The bike shifts fine but can't be moved with the engine off, in gear and the clutch pulled in. he said thats also common and doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem with the clutch or that it's out of adjustment
    Again, if the bike’s cold and/or has sat for an extended period, I agree that a dragging clutch is not necessarily an issue. However, once the bike’s been ridden and warm, if the clutch still drags to the point of being immovable when in-gear with the clutch pulled in, I’d be considering the possibility of a clutch adjustment.