Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stripped oil drain plug

07 XB12STT w/ 16k.
    Not surprisingly the oil plug stripped when I was changing the oil. I never exceeded 100in/lbs at best but apparently the previous owner did. My question is: do I have to drop $100 hard earned bucks that I could spend on something more fun (beer) than a one time use tool? Or can I go buy a 14mm tap and plug and be done with it for $10? I can appreciate that the Timesert 0122A allows for the thin walled alloy swingarm but I'd rather not spend the money. Any input?

Tap and plug will be fine, as long as the new plug has the proper recess for an o-ring.

I've also had pretty good success using a pipe tap and MPT plug in pretty thin oil pan sheet metal.

you could go either way, the Timesert is best and money well spent. also piece of mind knowing it's taken care of properly. it's really your choice, your bike.

Thanks for input y'all.
    @Cooter why use a plug in place of a bolt? Is pipe tap better due to shorter length? Use of thread seal goop required if going this route?

If you use a tap and bolt, make sure the bolt has a wide flat area under the head for an o-ring or copper washer. There are even neat hybrid washers with an o-ring inside and an aluminum outer ring so it's hard to over tighten and kill the rubber.

The pipe tap and MPT plug will seal on the threads instead of the bottom of the pan so yes, teflon paste is needed. Pipe thread won't back out and is harder to strip by over tightening. In sheet metal the trick is to use a tapered punch to open up the hole. it will curl the metal and get more threads (sealing area) to tap.

All a "timesert" does is allow you to use the stock size of drain plug. You are still drilling and tapping and now have 2 sets of threads in the same hole. Spend the $100 if you care. If you don't care, save the $ and brag about how fast you can drain your oil now

People freak out over drain plugs (that's why 98% are over tightened), but really you're just holding warm, unpressurized, fluid in a pan. Just tight enough to not vibrate out is good. 100 INCH pounds….

I've been the Helicoil route and the time sert route. Neither of them worked for me. The thing still leaked. Not only that the previous owner stripped pretty much every plug in the swingarm. I actually just today swapped my swingarm out.

You don't need to go to this extreme but like they are saying above, tap bigger and get a larger plug with a thick o-ring and you should be fine.

the Timesert is best and money well spent.

What size timesert should be used?

Part #0122A

they carry them at fastenal. That's where I got mine.

Timesert seems to be successful. The bolt went in snug. So far so good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast