Hi all,

New to the forum and Buells in general. Love my 03 Firebolt, but the brakes needed to be rebuilt badly.

My big question is, does it matter which way the piston rings go in the groove?

Before yall bash me to death with the have your brakes done by a professional if you dont know that.. Ive done a couple caliper rebuilds on older jap bikes, Nissin calipers, and when putting in the new rings I'm used to them being somewhat...tapered I guess would be the word. Although almost not visible one side of the ring has a bigger hole than the other ensuring a good seal. My eyesight aint all that great, so usually I pop the lower ring in and feel for a slight protrusion(a lip if you will) on the lower part of the bore groove. If its backwards and i feel a lip on top side, take out, flip, repeat.

However, on these calipers, no matter what way I put in the ring, I feel the protrusion on the lower side(where it needs to be anyways). Does this mean the rings are not tapered? Is this some sort of new technology...have I just entered the 2000's?

My apologies for the lengthy explanation(better to just get it all out there in the first post) and many thanks to anyone who knows what the hell im talkin bout.

Keep it weird