Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine noise from my XB12R

oh that is so classic i love the springer front end and the classic set it looks like a hard tail?

be easy

syn at times can make a motor louder...lot of harley owners I know and mine also seemed louder with syn oil..many harley riders and mechanics dont use straight syn ... and the dont use motor oil in there tranny or primary ..harley went with using there oil in all three holes for one reason ,,,because they where loosing money from people going to other brand motor tranny and primary oils....they people who are new to harleys and dont know better use the same in all three holes...thats why there loud and shift with a clunky sound...your missing out on a smooth quiet ride...someone mentioned metal shavings on there magnet drain plug...dam right the oil it to thin.....there not a race bike or race motor its a harley put together with lose tolerance..thats why they sound the way they do...right tranny primary oil once a year is good enough and can go longer if you needed to

Im new to the Buell scene. I have owned several other Harleys and this thing rocks. I just stole an 08 12R. The noise you guys are talking about it most likely normal. This thing is 10 times quieter than my pan and shovel were. As everyone else has said, just do your maintenace and stay on to of eveerything and she will last you for a long time. I got 25,000 out of my shovel before I had to do anything to the motor. I've heard of sporsters and later model harleys with 40,000+. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

So, the 'tap-tap-tap' I hear while idling is normal? Good.

It started hearing it after switching to HD Syn - so I'm switching back to Mobil 1 20/50 racing oil.

My 2008 XB12R developed a noise the past few days... I was up in the mountains on Sunday, reving it high, and after that ride I can hear a loud noise after around 3k rpm. That sound was not there before, is quite loud and sounds as if a screw is loose and vibrating. I'm not sure if it's coming from the timing chain, crank/rod/motor, tranny... It also does the noise on neutral, I have changed oil and oil filter more than 1000 miles ago I believe.
    I know it can be a million things, but since the closest HD service is more than an hours ride away, I've got no free time from work, and they are very VERY expensive over here, I am asking if someone had a similar experience, and what was it on thei bike?
    Thanks!

Hi BUELLERS,
    I have noise too (07XB9R/9Kmiles), previous owner used Mobil synthetic oil. For what I hear is the noise normal but is the first time I hear and not in my past BUELLs. I never use different brand before, I always use regular HD (Not HD synthetic).
    Any comments?
    Thanks,

Well, I changed trans and engine oil (HD for both), plus adjusted the clutch.
    The noise is reduced more than %50, may be more!!

It looks like its been a wile since anyone has been on this topic. I have always had valve tick when driving below 3000 rpm for too long in my 2009 xb12scg.
    My history on the bike is that I bought it used but with only 310miles on it. The oil sat in it for 3 years. The dealer said they change the oil but did not as I did and it was blacker than black. My understading of the hydraulic adjusted valves in my old car was that dirty oil makes them tick more. I plan to change the oil several times as I did in my VW corrado to make it quiet down. I thing going 1000miles on this bike before changing the oil is not a good idea. If this helps I will keep this post informed.
    I have noticed that the engine does not like to run at low rpms as this noise from the valves gets more frequent.

Well with my 04 XB12R I've changed the oil 3 times in as many weeks, and the noise is different; even louder. I was concerned that maybe I'd done some minor damage when overfilling but the plugs are OK, the power is still there. I guess the new sound is just the bike revelling in fresh oil :)

I have new plugs and HT's on the way for peace of mind.

Hi Oldgit,
    Check if you have loose the Primary Chain. It is 5 minutes to adjust it.
    Good luck!!

Thanks,
    Route0766

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast