Thread: throttle

Hello,

Just replaced my handlebars and grips to some custom parts (Renthal lows and D3 grips). I am having an issue with the throttle not twisting back closed. It just sticks open when i remove my hand. I have looked in the manual and tried adjusting the cables and still not working. Does anybody know what the issue is and how I can fix it? Any help would be great.

Thank you

One thing to check is at the throttle body, the return cable may have slipped off the throttle body during the process. This happened to me just by taking apart the stock throttle sleeve at the bar and reassembling. I had similar issues and dug into it and the cable came off the throttle body.

Do you have bar end mirrors? If so they might be in to far and binding with the grip

Is the rubber on the grip making contact with the control switch housing? Also you could put some graphite powder in the tube and on the bar before installing to help reduce friction.

Inactive
    peggy: all the info above is good but keep in mind that any time you change a component on a bike and then have a problem resulting from the change, the component or its install is inevitably the problem child. a simple way to check is take the housing apart, check to see if the cable mount plastic brackets (one per cable) slipped out of their housing mounts. also what steng said....is the grip and/or inner tube grabbing the end of handlebar? simple way to check is lightly spray the inner tube rotor with white lithium grease. that is the large round grooved part that holds the cable ends and plastic brackets and rotates inside the control housing. then reattach housing and secure to handlebars and tighten. twist the throttle approx. 6 times or so. remove the housing screws and if the rotor is binding on the inside of the housing it will leave grease on the part of housing where it is binding. hope that helps.

Thanks for all the input. Found out that from sitting for a few months without any tension has put a kink in the idle cable and was causing a hang up. Ordered the new idle cable will install as soon as I can.