Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front muffler strap broke

It happened last week Monday on my way to a hockey match.

I thought the lock nut slipped off, but Saturday when I took the chin fairing off I saw it had indeed snapped.
    Went to local HD shop to get a replacement and no stock, though they did place an order - which will take about 2 weeks.

I know a lot of you have hassles with your local HD shops, but I have had great service and support.
    The parts guy took my broken strap to the workshop, where they did a temp fix by welding it - free of charge.
    I also asked if they have some old Buell branded items (flags, etc) and they said they will find out for me. :)

I also noticed there was no bolt holding the front muffler spacer-thingy in place.
    Any idea what size bolt goes through there?

Thanx!

**** man that sucks. i know there are 3 straps, i have all 3, the smaller one of the 3 im pending on getting rid of with someone else on the fourm. but if you need on of the bigger ones i have them in great shape.

Inactive
    wally: a couple things of note here: i would NOT ride your Uly without the front strap and mount securely and correctly mounted. without the mount bolted to case and strap to mount it puts a tremendous strain on the header flanges, studs, and nuts. additionally, the front mount must be mounted to case to support strap and front of muffler. any hardware store will have it as is generic hex bolt and lock nut. lastly, any marine hardware supplier in your area will have the 3 straps though the front is sized slightly differently from rear 2 straps. OR try www.deepblueyachtsupply.com for the straps. they are wonderful quality like the originals.
    I believe the rear straps are #70STBC750
    Looks like the front straps are #70STBC600 : check length before ordering.
    hope that helps.

Thanx guys!

lunatic: will definitely not be riding until it is fastened. Might be why the front header nuts came undone a while back...

Finding parts here in South Africa is tricky at best.
    Bit the bullet and ordered the straps through HD (about (US$20).

But for sure I will start looking around for something equivalent around here.

Just a tip:

When I replaced my front strap I lost two more of them within about a month. I think it was because the lock-nut was vibrating loose, possibly due to the nylon getting hot and softening.

When I installed my third front strap I jammed a second nut against the lock-nut ... haven't had any trouble with that one for about a year.

something else that you can do for ease of mine in case it breaks on you when you are out and about, is when you put it all back together use some saftey wire as a fale safe. Just in case it were to break on you again unexpectedly.I have had that happen a couple times, so I did that just in case.

Great tips!

Thanx guys!

Inactive
    Might be why the front header nuts came undone a while back
    that's exactly why wally. i would think you'd have plenty of marinas in SA and they'll stock the clamps or special order for you.

I am definitely gonna source some similar ones locally!

I did find it strange (had the muffler off twice before) that the bracket was sitting loose.
    Somebody obviously took it off before I got the bike at some point and never replaced it.

I can count myself lucky then that over the last 2 years I haven't had more exhaust problems! :p

The inevitable happened tonight...the temp fix by HD on the strap finally gave in. :(

Lasted 3 months!

I think my other one is here, so I can fix it over the weekend.

Parts are trickling in slowly but surely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast