Thread: Front Header Mount: Stud Snapped?

I’m looking for assistance to a problem, and the course of action I should take with my 2006 Buell XB12Ss. I just purchased this bike in July, and it currently has a little over 13k miles on it. The other day while heading home from work, I realized my bike’s exhaust didn’t sound normal, as well there was a rattling sound coming from it. I only live about 2 miles from where I work, so I continued on to home. When I arrived, I could see that the nuts (both) to the Front Header Mount were missing.
    I work in the downtown area, and usually always park in the parking garage. On this day I decided to park in a parking lot. I got off pretty late that evening, so I’m unsure if someone had fooled around with my bike. The day before, I had changed the oil, filter, and transmission fluid, and hadn’t noticed or saw any problems then.
    I figured someone had attempted/started to take off my exhaust, and they found out that it was much more work needed than anticipated.
    The next day I went and got some nuts from the local hardware store, and upon putting them on I realized the lower stud was a pain to get started. When I finally got it started, I got about half-way and then the nut stripped (half of nut threads.) I tried again with another, but stopped where the other had stripped before. I then started with the top nut, when I did the bottom popped off.
    From there, I took a much closer look and could see that the lower stud was shorter than the upper.
    I just joined this forum today, and while I’m going thru other discussions, was hoping I could get input, or help from others. Below I have two pictures of the front header mount.

Image 1

Image 2

I figured someone had attempted/started to take off my exhaust
    doubtful this is a pretty common problem.

Crawfo stated
    I would make an attempt to get the one still sticking out, out first, then use a new stud to use the jig on the other. I wouldn't be scared to weld a nut in place on the stud that is sticking out, or you can use the double nut trick. I personally think that with it being your front exhaust studs it would be easier to do it with the head on.
    How would you go about this?

or

Beatsthejaps stated
    If there is any stud at all sticking out, get some vice grips on it. Should come out fairly easy with no torque on it. At least ive had good luck with it

nvm, I've got it!

Love this site