Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Painting frame/swingarm?

Okay guys well I have the silver frame/swingarm and I'd really like to black them out. Have any of you painted your frame/swingarm while the motor and all was still on the bike and just taped everything off well? If so do you have any pictures?

Also, any suggestion on what paint to use and tips on prepping? I know Buell sells the original frame paint but it looks like it's just a typical rattle can band re-labeled and since I'm not trying to cover up damage/match the original paint I figure it doesn't really matter what I use and will save me some $$ using non buell paint

Thanks,
    Spencer

Use automotive paint and take your time taping and covering your engine.

The Buell paint can withstand heat like many automotive paints, stuff that costs $3 a can probably won't.

Oh yeah I'm not planning on using el-cheapo stuff, probably dupli-color auto paint that's like $9 a can versus the $16 a can for the buell stuff.

As far as prep does this sound good, give it all a light sanding with a find grit sandpaper, wash with dishwashing detergent, and then wipe down with acetone?

Thanks,
    Spencer

I didn't use acetone, but that sounds like it should be fine.

That kind of shows how my paint turned out. That was a couple months after I had done it.

You cannot get a good finish with rattle cans, you can get an okay one, but it wont last, and isnt durable, plus you can spend hours and hours masking stuff off but its impossible to get everything. For not much more time strip the frame to a bare frame and paint it with REAL automotive type paint such as Valspar, Dupont, RM, PPG or others.
    You can use a single stage Urethane and for extra protection and gloss add some clear to the paint in the last couple coats, It will be deep, rich and amazing looking. or a Base coat/clear coat is great too. If you dont want pure gloss, then there are flattening agents that can be used for a semi gloss or flat finish. The best part is that its largely resistant to gas, oil, brake fluids, scratching, fading (sun fade) or anything else. Not 100% but if you wipe it off quickly it wont be ruined. Cant get that from a rattle can paint job,, it peels or wrinkles in an instant from most any chemical. Real paint is fairly easy to repair or touch up, or scratches can often be buffed out,. Rattle can not so much. I dont like powder coat on frames and other items because its hard to repair or touch up, certain things are okay for powder coat but when using real quality paint, its almost always repairable and often times you dont have to strip the bike down like you would for powder coatings. In my area theres usually 25-30 powder coating shops,. Only one shop can strip it. Not that problem with paint.
    Are you starting another project? I thought you were in school and wont have time for over 2 years? I sent you an offer on your tuber parts, must have not liked it. On this project, do it right or dont do it at all. You will regret cutting corners. I have been painting for 30 years. If you want specifics on paint,. let me know.:)

Thank's for the response guys.

Internet Annoyance, if your who I am send me another PM because I never got an offer from you (if you're the same person I'm thinking of).

No I'm not starting a project this bike is my daily driver, I'd just like the frame to be black without having to go to the trouble of disassembling everything (as like I said before I don't have hardly any free time). I've got the frame pucks and some grips that cover a large portion of the frame and are black. Maybe I'll just use some black decals and stuff to add more black to the frame.

Thanks for the advice on the rattle can, I'll probably stay away from it now. I'm pretty good with ratttle can painting but like you said I've never been able to get anything quality looking when your close to it.

This is an 03 XB9 with 33k miles that I picked up for $1900, not a show bike or anything like that just my ride back and forth to class to save me some money on gas and to hit the roads on the weekends with to blow off some steam.

Thanks,
    Spencer

I can understand that on a little clean up and detailing for a rider,, but as I said, especially on a frame, you would in the end be disappointed with rattle cans over time. I had a guy once who did a BRILLIANT job in red on his tank on a Triumph, it was in for service at my old shop and over 2 weeks of sun exposure parked in front of my shop,, it faded quite a bit. He was pretty disappointed. I felt bad but what can i do about the sun? We didnt have inside storage during the day for customer bikes.

Theres a forum member, as well as others on ebay selling vinyl transfers in several colors that seem pretty cool, pegasus heads, and other logos, maybe thats an easy solution for you? again, they COULD be damaged by fuel and such as well, but might be a good choice for your situ.

Will resend my email, i figured you didnt like the offer, thanks for the FYI that you didnt get it.;)

Responded to your email.

I actually orderered the TechSpec frame grips for the large frame XB's which on my short lightning frame covers a large bit of it with a cool black rubber texture and then I have the black frame pucks. I think I will use a few details, maybe paint my heel guards black or bedliner them and do some decals on the swingarm just to put some more black on there and leave it alone.

I can get some vinyl decals made super cheap

Anyone have any ideas on a cool large decal to go on the large side of the swingarm? A black pegasus would be cool but the frame rail ones are too large and the ones for the tanks would probably be a little small

I painted my frame and swingarm last winter with the Buell rattle paint cans. It cost me almost 100$ for 4 cans incuding shipping(22$, I'm in Canada). I bought this paint because I really wanted the black from the last years of the XBs, my bike is an 05 and had the magnesium color frame and swing. I still knew it was going to be a rattle can job. Well , the best 100$ I ever spent for paint !!! LOVE how it turned out ! Absolutely love this paint ! Very user friendly, easy to make touch ups, holds up great as I rode my bike all summer and the paint didn't change in any way even where my knees rub on the frame near the air box . Also paintd the frame with the engine still in it, but had everything else remonved , ie swingarm, sub frame and tripples .
    Will try to had a picture but not it will work as I am on my phone at work ...

Big Twin, you did an awesome job that looks just like a factory paint job in the picture. Did you paint the forks/triples with the Buell paint as well?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast