Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Painting frame/swingarm?

Thats actually quite impressive for a rattle can job, my hats off to you sir. Better than i ever expected. Ive seen much much worse.
    Pricewise, you bring up a good point. I have an extensive collection of paints, reducers, hardeners and related products (plus a LOT of colors in stock) So for me,,, $122 is pretty expensive just for materials plus my labor, but on the other hand, if you dont already have the materials on the shelf $122 is pretty inexpensive. Paint products for pro grade are quite expensive if you have to buy all the materials for just something like this.
    To do a frame, I would use a no fill primer like Diamont DE15 etch primer, followed by a single stage Poly ureathane and last couple coats cocktail in some poly clear. Its not unusual for me to spend $200-400 at the paint & body shop supply store.. but a small job like this would be about $40-60 in materials if i measured it out. So worth keeping in mind.
    Again, good job there.

Glad you are coming to your senses....

"I actually orderered the TechSpec frame grips for the large frame XB's which on my short lightning frame covers a large bit of it with a cool black rubber texture and then I have the black frame pucks. I think I will use a few details, maybe paint my heel guards black or bedliner them and do some decals on the swingarm just to put some more black on there and leave it alone."

If your not going to break it down and do it right you should just leave it the way it is....
    I understand you only have $1,900 into the bike but I bet if you were going to sell it you would want a premium for it.....
    So don't hack it up and make a bastard into a half ass bastard.....

Also: the buell frame graphite and black paint covers and hold up well to every day riding.

@ rsm I did paint the tripples with the Buell paint(witch I got from ASB). For the forks I went with a "temporary" solution but it turned out so good that it's going to stay that way, even more, it opens the way to many possibilitys ... I wrapped them wih vinyl . Imagine, any color is possible now ....
    For the frame and swingarm I painted a very light coat, since the rattle paint is not "cooked" after, said to my self a light coat would be less prone to chipping. So a painted just enough to cover the other color. Did not sand in any place, just "cleaned" truly with acetone before painting. Did not used the 4 cans to paint the frame and swingarm. I maybe used 2 1/2. I ordered 4 because I didn't want to have to order again and pay shipping twice.
    The longest part of the whole job was taping and masking. Take your time, be patient.
    It can turn out great.

Thanks rsm and Annoyance do the good words, appreciate it.

Thanks for the info Big Twin, where do you order the black vinyl for the forks from? I was actually thinking of doing the same so that I would not have to paint my forks or remove them for powdercoat and I could remove it if I decided I didn't like it.

Thanks,
    Spencer

Rsm, any shop that does wraps for cars will have some, that where I took it .

You can also buy car wrap vinyl on ebay.

You can get samples of a few inches square for ~$2 to see what you really want.
    The rolls are 60in (5ft) wide, and then sold by the linear foot... usually ~$15-$19 depending on the color/finish.

I've been debating trying it on my frame... but more for a curiouslity thing, as I like my dark matte 09 xb12 frame. Or at the very least, wrapping the pucks and/or knee areas.

EDIT: I say this because some places don't like to sell just material, and I haven't found a place for partial stuff unless they happen to have it left over from a previous job.

I'm not a painter, but I did paint a Suzuki VX800 once in my garage with PPG automotive paint. What a f@#$ing hassle. Had to make a paint booth with plastic, exhaust fan, filtered air intake, heater, sprayed the floor with water to hold dust down, but it came out GREAT. I brought the tank in to the auto parts/paint store and the paint guy was impressed.

http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/vx/paint/

Big Twin, do you have the part number for the Buell paint? My bike is an 09 and I recently had to do a swingarm swap. The swingarm is more of a graphite color while my frame is dark black. I'd love to match them up.

M0310.6AAYCX

M0310.6AAYCX
    Thank you, sir!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast