Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New owner nervous about engine noise.

Hey all,

I just picked up an 06 XB12Ss a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it. However, I have no idea what normal valve train chatter is and what isn't, and there's this knocking that sounds like it's coming from the bottom end that makes me nervous. I just want to know if this recording of my engine sounds normal to you experienced owners or not, it's really gotten into my head. It's generally in time with the exhaust, I think. Any opinions would be welcome, as it is, I'm afraid to take her out at all.
    My engine sound:

Big thanks in advance. I really hope it's nothing, but it sounds kinda loud. Putting another link here because it looks like I messed up the youtube embed.
    Link to youtube video of engine

Great to hear you bought a Buell and welcome to the forum.

Few quick questions:
    Is the engined warmed up in the video?
    Does the noise get worse or better as you ride it?
    Any change at high rpms?

If you don't know, make sure it's warmed up before you ride it.

JP

The engine is warmed in this video, i give it at least three minutes before riding and in this I've been out for about twenty minutes. I think it gets worse the hotter the engine gets, but I've only just noticed it this last ride. It's hard to say about high rpms, i can't really hear it well over 2k.

Thanks for the reply and welcome.

Does it get faster when you rev it?

That does seem like it's getting into the range of a bass, while these things are more of a solid tenor. I'd start with an oil change and retest. Check out that old oil, it will tell your bike's story. Replace with a high quality synthetic 20w50 designed for motorcycle engines. I use Amsoil.

Everything sounds in time, just a little out of tune.

It does get faster when I rev it, yeah. It's impossible to hear over 2k rpm, though, with stock exhaust. I think it might actually be coming from the rocker box, and possibly both, is it at all possible that this is just the oil? I know the dealer replaced the oil before I came home with it, but I have no idea with what, and I've heard these guys make a racket without the right oil.

Very true. Do an oil change, check the magnets and dump out the filter to check for metal bits.

Great, thanks very much to everyone. I'll update as soon as I get a chance to do an oil change and magnet/filter check, fingers crossed for the best.

Run a magnet through the oil also. It may only pick up very, very small particles but it may also help diagnosing the problem. Also get a look inside the filter. It may have some clues in there.

Inactive
    angor: what's the average air temp right now where you are? reason i ask is if it's 60 fahrenheit or lower and you want to save some $ and do quick diagnosis, i would drain the oil....pull the filter...closely examine drain plug magnet as well as visually inspecting oil as you flip filter upside down and let it drain. then go to ****-mart and get yourself 3 quarts of super-tech house brand 15-40 oil (it's Shell Rotella T bottled as house brand) and an oil filter for a 2007 toyota yaris. same filter as all XB's use. install filter and 2.5 quarts of Rotella and see what you have. sure sounds like low oil pressure to me in the video.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast