Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firebolt Seat Lightning Tail

Not for me.

I received the DarkHorse Moto sub-frame spacers tonight. Here they are installed as the instruction would dictate. Of course I can't seem to leave anything stock. So they'll be modified and the whole thing painted at completion. The spacers do set the seat angle in the correct position. It feels the same as when I had my Bolt with the original tail.

Thanks for the honest opinions guys. I really do appreciate them. For everyone that liked the original tail better, the new seat rails also came in tonight. It's back together as well. The short tail will not be going on this bike later. I've another project I'm working on that uses it. I'll keep you posted.

Today I built the seat bracket with some 1.50" and 0.75" bar steel stock at 1/8" thick. It's all primed and undercoated. It's amazing how well the Firebolt seat mounting points and the Lightning frame rail attachments line up.

Next up is a base on the tail to attach the tail tip!

I welded on the mounting base for the tail tip and ground the seat rails for a flush fit. The tail tip will house led lighting for the tail, brake, plate and signals.

A poster board template was made from drawing the outline of the entire tail end. Tomorrow, I'll draw the outline of the template to a piece of grid paper.

After that I'll scan the image with the grid into Sketchup and begin to make a computer model of the tail end base. Once the tail is designed in Sketchup, I'll send the file over to my 3D printer and have it made from ABS plastic.

I've gotten the template loaded into Sketchup and printed a test base plate to see how it fits. It's not bad but still a few minor adjustments are needed for scale. Once I make the adjustments. I'll upload the file here. That way if anyone wants to work with it, they can. Sketchup is free.

From this base, I can build up to 12" out from the tail with the printer. The final result will be better quality and most likely not in yellow.

As promised, here's the link to the Sketchup base file.
    Sketchup Tail

Take a look. If you have any idea what you think the tail tip should look like, post it up. I might print it out and try it.

Over the weekend I did some more work on the tail piece. I printed a new base with an indention for the license plate.

This piece alone took 5 hours to print. Here is the SOURCE FILES LINK for the new base and the old one together.

I've also spent the last few days completing the final design for the finished part. It incorporates channels both inside and out for Radiantz Z-Flex light strips. The outside strip will function as turn signals, tail and brake lights. The inside strip will light up the license plate.

I just haven't totally settled on choice in material stock. I'm caught between Black, Transparent Red, Crystal Clear, or Smoke. At a later date, I'll have some sort of logo inside above the license plate placeholder.

That looks epic!!!!!

I think it look great

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast