Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: fuel pump o rings

viton is better than nitrile but also more expensive. nitrile will still work. Be sure to avoid epr.

Weird thing.... I just went outside and checked the bike and no leak, it's bone dry. Maybe the o rings just need to set in?

The new o rings are nitrile. It looks like the original were viton by the color of them, if color means anything with o rings.

Either way I'm kinda worried about the o rings leaking and then stopping. I did slather on the silicon paste pretty thick before installing the pump back into the frame.

Weird thing.... I just went outside and checked the bike and no leak, it's bone dry. Maybe the o rings just need to set in?
    What do you mean? It all leaked out and the tank is dry? Or the outside is dry?....its supposed to be. What's weird.

Silicon lubricant is the proper way to install o rings like that.

I went to the gas station and got a gallon of fuel and came back and put it in the tanks. There was no leak so fired it up and let it idle for a while. Everything was fine so I took it to the gas station to fill it the rest of the way up. Get home and it's leaking from around the fuel pump.... Pretty bad to, like a drop every few seconds. Went back outside about 20 min later and the leak had stopped.

I put a pan under the leak and there wasn't much fuel in it. I guess I'll ride the bike again tomorrow and see if it starts to leak again.

if it's doing that, you may have pinched the o-ring even though you lubed it up well, silicon is ok, but would have used parker o-ring lube, just enough to wet the o-ring all the way and also the mounting flange on the frame...coat lightly, makes it slip a bit easier into place.

inspect the flange on the frame and also the fuel pump for any scratches and or nicks, do this slowly to not overlook anything. use your finger nail or lint free cloth to run over the area, if it snags on the surface, you'll know that could be the issue possibly. take your time checking things over, hopefully everything is fine. good luck.

If a o ring got pinched I'll buy some more o rings tomorrow and some of that lube while there. This bike has to be fixed by Friday night, a friend of mine died on his motorcycle last Sunday and the memorial ride is this Saturday.

PS sorry for my spelling mistakes, I'm typing all of this from my phone.

It stayed to leak again. Looks like I'll be doing the job all over again.

if it's doing that, you may have pinched the o-ring even though you lubed it up well, silicon is ok, but would have used parker o-ring lube, just enough to wet the o-ring all the way and also the mounting flange on the frame...coat lightly, makes it slip a bit easier into place.

inspect the flange on the frame and also the fuel pump for any scratches and or nicks, do this slowly to not overlook anything. use your finger nail or lint free cloth to run over the area, if it snags on the surface, you'll know that could be the issue possibly. take your time checking things over, hopefully everything is fine. good luck.
    Good advice. parker super o is a silicone base though. It shouldnt have been cut or pinched with that much lube on there. Id look for damage. I install o rings with over 20% squeeze with the clear silicone lube.

Oh and another thing, it didn't start to leak again until I started riding it. I'm assuming the best from the engine is building up pressure in the tank and that is what is causing the leak. Is there any way I can put a gallon of fuel in next time and add a little pressure to the tank to see if it'll start to leak again? This is going to suck dumping out a full tank every time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast