Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Fix for the Primary Cover

My failure is literally the exact same break as on page 2 ! 31000 miles on an 07 XB12STT. I'm conversing with Dave right now. I've noticed in the 5 years since this trhead started no one has come back and said theirs failed......WHO'S GOT THE MOST MILES ON THEIR FIX ?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by rkutzner View Post
    My failure is literally the exact same break as on page 2 ! 31000 miles on an 07 XB12STT. I'm conversing with Dave right now. I've noticed in the 5 years since this trhead started no one has come back and said theirs failed......WHO'S GOT THE MOST MILES ON THEIR FIX ?
    have a 2007 cityx-9 with dave's kit fix self-installed and has been on for like 5 years now and the order of 10K miles. his kits are wonderful quality and fairly simple to install yourself though if you don't feel confident doing so just send the cover to dave and have him install the kit. mentioned this many times before but sitting at red lights and stop signs with the bike in gear and clutch lever pulled in puts alot of strain on that primary cover lip. avoid doing so at all costs.

Thanks lunaticfringe! My kit has also been on what used to be my CityX and is now a friend's for a little more than 5 years as well...not sure how many miles but I know both of us rode the hell out of it!
    Hope some others post how long they've had the kit on there XB and whether or not it's failed...I haven't heard from anyone that there's failed.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    have a 2007 cityx-9 with dave's kit fix self-installed and has been on for like 5 years now and the order of 10K miles. his kits are wonderful quality and fairly simple to install yourself though if you don't feel confident doing so just send the cover to dave and have him install the kit. mentioned this many times before but sitting at red lights and stop signs with the bike in gear and clutch lever pulled in puts alot of strain on that primary cover lip. avoid doing so at all costs.
    I second what John said at stop signs or traffic lights. I find neutral all the time. Saves wear on primary cover and force being put on it. Have over 30k on my original primary cover and no fix.
    Last edited by rchuff; 12-03-2017 at 01:36 PM.

That's impressive rchuff, obviously great advice to find neutral!

Just talked to the owner of what used to be my XB9SX...Screenshot_20171213-002721.jpg

UPDATE: I don't care that I could do it, Dave was incredibly professional, the job looks PERFECT, the packaging was excellent and he even cleaned it to pass a white glove inspection. Very happy customer, I'm not used to folks doing my work but so glad I let him.

UPDATE: I don't care that I could do it, Dave was incredibly professional, the job looks PERFECT, the packaging was excellent and he even cleaned it to pass a white glove inspection. Very happy customer, I'm not used to folks doing my work but so glad I let him.
    Thank you for the kind words! Happy to help and glad we can keep one more Buell on the road! Thanks for being a great customer!

dflack001,
    So I became the lucky recipient of the much maligned primary lip failure his past weekend. Thankfully, and with a little judicious planning, I was able to limp the bike home and get it apart to locate the culprit. I ordered a new primary, and tensioner just because why not since I had it open and the bike has just over 20k on it, before I saw this thread for the fix. With that being said, I would still like to send you my broken primary cover for the fix just to have it as a back-up should it happen again: Is that still something you do?

Quote Originally Posted by JDHaggard View Post
    dflack001,
    So I became the lucky recipient of the much maligned primary lip failure his past weekend. Thankfully, and with a little judicious planning, I was able to limp the bike home and get it apart to locate the culprit. I ordered a new primary, and tensioner just because why not since I had it open and the bike has just over 20k on it, before I saw this thread for the fix. With that being said, I would still like to send you my broken primary cover for the fix just to have it as a back-up should it happen again: Is that still something you do?
    Sorry to hear of the misfortune with your primary cover! Glad you made it home safely! I do still off the repair service and would be happy to help. Shoot me an email at dmfmachining@gmail.com so we can make arrangements to get your primary cover Bulletproofed.

Many thanks,
    -Dave

Buell Fix Kit Order form:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...I4LuA/viewform

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast