Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Neutral" light intermittant , wont start sometimes. help

Ok here is a weird one guys. Yesterday I went on several rides.. some rides I had a my "N" light for that ride when I put it into neutral, other rides I didn't have a Neutral light for the whole ride... I figured it was some kind of dirty contact or switch somewhere and I would look into it later.

THEN TODAY, my first ride no "N" for that ride, ok. no big deal, ..... SECOND RIDE, no "N" light for the whole ride, .. I stop for smokes... put the bike into neutral, turn it off, buy smokes, come back, put the key in, turn it on...fuel pump comes on, red oil light is on.... I start it... NOTHING!! NO starter NOTHING.. I take the key out, try it again, this time with the clutch in, NOTHING.... I tay Again.. NOTHING

I sit down wait 2 min maximum and try again.. same thing same lights on , just the oil light .. BUT IT FIRED RIGHT UP AND RAN GREAT!

where do I start looking? I figure there is some kind of bad connection somewhere... am I right?

neutral indicator switch maybe? or sidestand switch maybe? is an xb9sx 2007

I've actually had this same problem as well, but in my instance I turned it off at a railroad track (first in line) till I could see the end. Went to start it back up, not a damn thing but a bunch of lights staring me back in the face. Had to get off and push it over to the sidewalk next to the track, let it sit for a few minutes, then magically it worked again. Weirdest thing. Happened twice at two different train tracks! I refuse to turn it off anymore if I'm sitting there waiting.

neutral indicator switch maybe? or sidestand switch maybe? is an xb9sx 2007
    I believe you can rule out the sidestand switch as it's only the early models that have them. In my experience, the neutral switch can become 'sticky' if the clutch cable requires adjustment, especially when the motor's cold; perhaps start there (?)...

ok must be clutch adjustment then... Ive been messing with that in the past few days.... so just keep adjusting the clutch then until its all right?

I cant seem to get this clutch cable right either... its got 38,000 on that cable for all I know.. think it may have stretched out too long by now? No matter how I adjust it, it just doesn't feel as good as my 12R

go cycle! BINGO! I didn't have enough freeplay in that cable on the control end.. I went and compared it to the amount of freeplay on my 12R and I was much looser on the 12R.

I went back to square one and loosened it all up... put the same amount of play on the 9 as I had in the other one and just went by the book... turned the ignition on and the N light was on.,, took it for a spin and it shifted fine,, "N" light was constant and real responsive..
    thanks man,,, rep point for you..

Inactive
    its got 38,000 on that cable for all I know.. think it may have stretched out too long
    tom: you hav a city cross, correct? no sidestand switch on them. and for what it's worth the inner cable does not stretch on a clutch cable....the outer cable housing compresses causing slack. at 38K miles i would consider lubing it well and if it continues to go out of adjustment a new cable is in order. you want approx. 1/8th inch freeplay where cable barrel enters the lever perch.

yeah it went back out of adjustment after about 30 miles... I either don't have it right or I need a new one.. what kind of lube is the best to use?

I jiggled the cable near the tripe trees and it came back every now and then..

Inactive
    tom: if you don't have aerosal cable lube container and cable luber device the easiest is just to use simple 3-in-1 oil. works great on cables. loosen barrel adjuster and slide cable sleeve out of perch, rotate around and slide nipple out of lever. it will be near vertical then and dribble the oil down the inner cable a few drops at a time. 30 drops or so will penetrate down to the primary. i've posted multiple times on here how to perform correct cable and clutch pack adjustment. post back if you need directions as it's very simple.

yeah I did that back when I had daylight.. I sprayed a few sprays of liquid wrench down in there just in case it was gunked up.. then tried to send some Marvel Mystery Oil down in there after it... I got the N light and all was good.. then as I pulled into my garage, I couldn't get the light... ****! Im thinking of just dropping the primary oil and pulling the whole cable... maybe I can flush it out easier and be able to see what Im doing better... get the oil down into that cable I just cut a few inches of 3/8 hose and slotted it down the side, wrapped it around the cable end and zip-tied it, like a little funnel.. didn't work real well though.. I should have put that oil in there with a little oil bottle or something.. Ill try again tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast