Thread: Looking at a XB12S

So I'm going to look at a '07 XB12S this weekend. It has about 4200 miles on it, and other than a scrape on the frame slider it looks like it's in really good shape. I'm going to be making about a 250 mile round trip to go see this bike so I don't want to have to go look at something I didn't think of this first time. So I'm wondering, other than the obvious things (tires, belts, oil...) what else should I be looking for??

Pop the seat and look at the fan. If its oily, you'll need rocker gaskets. While its off, look at where the passenger foot pegs bolt on, if they're cracked it's been down…
    Look underneath where the kickstand bracket bolts on. They like to break the case if wrecked.
    Check the brake pads with the flashlight you brought:) Can you see under the frame pucks? They might be hiding a dent.
    Take a voltmeter to check the battery voltage when cranking and after running. Check the date code on the battery.
    Check for codes.
    Have someone roll it forward while you look at the tires for plugs, or patched holes. Listen to see if the wheel bearings or idler are making noise. Then use the front brake to stop it quickly. A "clunk" means steering head bearings.
    Don't assume any lights out are just burned out.
    Do all of the warning lights come on while the gauges sweep?
    Push every button, switch every switch.
    Check all the fluids, and smell the oil.
    Make sure it's cold and not previously warmed up. It's ok to warn him you'll be expecting it cold.
    Match the owners ID to the pink slip, hand him all your cash, ATGATT, and go for a 15 min test drive. Don't be stupid, warm it up nicely. But hard stops and high load/RPM shifting to check the clutch and suspension.
    The whole process should take 30mins, all your doing is popping the seat (not disassembling the bike!). If they aren't willing to let you see anything or take a test drive, then you should take a walk.

Can you tell I've bought a buch of crap bikes over the years??

:D:D

That is excellent advice there!

Inactive
    cooters' advice excellent. be subtle and ask him how many owners it has had and if he has enjoyed the bike? and this line ALWAYS works...."i would think that a 1200cc motor in a smallish bike like this would really be peppy." the hook has been set. if he remarks that yes.... it handles well, brakes well, has great torque and very comfortable and reliable....seller has probably taken good care of it. conversely if he responds with war-stories about how far he can wheelie, how many cocktail lounge parking lots he's smoked out, and how many 5.0 mustangs he's drag raced......shake his hand, say thank you, and leave immediately.

^^^^ That reminds me of how my grampa used to buy used cars. He'd just sit in it and check the radio presets….
    Country (or Rock and Roll) and he'd pass:D He said it always worked for him!

But if the Buell has a radio, (or chrome) walk away!! ;)

07- good chance of bad crank bearings.

Thanks for the good advice. So I bit the bullet and bought it... Like I said in my first post, other than a scraped up frame slider and a small dent in the header where it was dropped, it's in really good shape. I'll post some pics when I get a chance

some guys wrap those headers but Ive seen photos of headers that were cracked from the heat on that front cylinder right were where the pipe comes out of the head... I would either just leave it or pick up some used headers off of a wreck. Only bitch about header swap is that you have to do a partial engine rotation to get them in and out of that bike.. its a real tight fit at that back cylinder.

It's definitely not cracked, just dented. I've already got the header wrap on order. So now I just have to sit here and wait...