Thread: ignition fuse blows every time I start

Howdy buelligans,

I go to jump on the bike a couple days ago, turn the key (full sweep everything normal) and when I flip the kill switch to run I get nothing. Check fuse box, ignition fuse frys every time I flip the kill switch. OK my brain says bad relay. Swapped relays and nothing, bought new ones and nothing, I've gone through like 8 fuses, grounds are all good.. I am at a loss??!! The only thing I've done recently is hook up a lo HID(properly wired to battery with its own relay) but that was a month ago and it has been perfect until this. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and a what's up to so Cal buellers!

when I had my xb I would make the mistake of starting it with the seat off and then installing it and blowing that fuse. For sure a grounding out issue. But where... I'm thinking. Maybe somebody else will tell you to pull the seat off and check under the fuse box for pinched wires too. Assuming its an xb( )s.

Its an xbr. i'll double check grounds everywhere, and the harness to the fuse box...something mightve gotten pinched in that wire bundle when I threw hid wiring alongside. just weird it happened out of nowhere, like a ground wiggled loose, but i see none

Inactive
    just because a month lapsed since the install doesn't eliminate the installation. i would very carefully examine your work area regarding this HID wiring.....eliminate it as the culprit....then move onto checking for chafed wires and/or a bad ignition switch.

Ya I cut all the gay leds off a bike a po had put on once and left a few wires and forgot to insulate the end of one and would ride really hard and would get a cel and and she wouldn't start. It would just click. Electrical needs to be tits to avoid crap from happening. Some of us call these gremlins. I call it human error, my wife calls me an idiot.

I had a similar problem about a year ago. It ended up being my turn signal grounds. Sounds like something powered is shorting out. Only thing I can say to do is take this one step at a time. Unhook everything one at a time and find the culprit via trial amd error. Thats the most fool proof way anyways.

Here is the thread I had started. Not the same scenario but you may find something useful. Good luck.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...-ignition-fuse

Hey Wrenchy,

Surely if the fuse blows when you hit the kill switch then you have an issue with the fuel pump?
    This is a common enough problem with the wires rubbing through inside the fuel pump.

Pull it out of the frame and have a check of the wiring.

Good luck and get some new o rings first.

Regards, Mark.

+1 on the fuel pump. Had a very similar issue with my xb turned out to be the fuel pump

Disconnect the fuel pump and see if it blows the fuse. That's how I discovered my problem.

An possible easy way to check for a short to ground (which is what you have) is to:
    1) Disconnect the battery
    2) take a multimeter and check from the load side all relays to ground - this way you'll find if there is a short very easily
    3) look through the wiring diagrams and see what the relay goes to
    4) check the wires between the relay and the load - that's where your problem will be

More than likely a broken wire that's touching ground. Do not keep popping fuses....fix it :)