Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buell cityxb9sx smaller battery options?

hahah ya man. so we are totally coming from the same corner. i have friends everywhere and me and my friend who works at a bmw dealership were talking about it and just everything involved and just individual shops are so much better. just in overall character. you know.

yup yup...its funny how the guys who wrench...weather it be part time or for a living understand it.....and the guys who get taken get offended. I have never turned a person down for help with their car weather it be help or actually fixing it....and for side jobs i dont charge ****...lol

^^. Yuuup man that's exactly how it is. I'm the same way.

LMFAO!! Wow!...Um...Welcome to the Forum?...:D

So the Ballistic 12cell battery is recommended? revzilla has it on sale for $179 w/free shipping to hawaii.

saw this review on Amazon:

4 of 6 people found the following review helpful
    Works, But.....,.
    By Buell'r on October 7, 2012
    Amazon Verified Purchase
    The 12 cell battery does in fact work, but only after the chemistry 'wakes up'. On my bike, Buell 1200cc fuel injected v-twin, the first attempt to start after setting for a day resulted in the voltage dropping so much, the bike ecm lost the portion of memory that keeps track of things like the clock, and trip calculators. Both clock and trip calculators would reset to 0000 during start up. This was totally annoying. I returned the 12 cell battery and ordered the 16 cell battery which, due to shipping charges, cost me an additional $20. That killed the savings from dealing with Amazon, not a good thing!

Also, the Ballistic web site recommended the larger 16 cell battery, while the vendor I purchased from recommended the 12 cell battery.

Fitment of the 12 cell required use of packing materials in order to secure the battery in the battery tray. This was not a big deal as no modifications to the battery tray were needed.

Here's the reason the vendor recommended the 12 cell: Fitment of the 16 cell battery was TERRIBLE. The extra row of cells resulted in a cube shaped battery that did not FIT in my battery tray. I had to modify the tray, hold down strap and connections in order to get the battery to fit and allow the seat to be placed back on the bike.

While Ballistic does in fact post the dimensions of the batteries, who reads that??? When I can find my bike in the application chart, I expect the battery to be usable without modifications to my bike.

Finally, the 16 cell battery does seem to work, marginally, but at this point, if I had to do it all over again, I would go to the bike shop and pay to get a battery that fits correctly.

bike ecm lost the portion of memory
    no, the gauges keep this not the ecm. Also... "retarted" - the acting of giving someone more tarts.

My serious opinion...buy the Deka replacement. If you want more space, buy a tank bag, tail bag, or just wear a backpack. I ride with a backpack a lot of the time...it's surprisingly convenient!

its not the size, it's the CCA, im tired of the 6 month old HD AGM battery nearly dying everytime I try to start the bike. Both the HD and Deka are both 220 CCA, which is barely enough to turn it over.

Hmmm...I've never had a cranking issue with my XB9SX. PO replaced the battery with factory replacement when I bought the bike coming up on 2 years ago. Cranks up every time. Then again I ride daily. BUT I have heard...that these XB's are known to drain a battery down fairly quickly if you don't ride often, or keep it on some kind of tender or other battery management. I've let my bike sit for 2 weeks with no tender or anything, and she fired right up. Maybe I'm just lucky...LOL

First, good job finding that Amazon review, very interesting info from that buyer.
    im tired of the 6 month old HD AGM battery nearly dying everytime I try to start the bike
    You either have a bad battery (I know, a bad battery? But I just bought it!) or a slow drain on your electrical system or a bad charging system or...all of the above.

I've gone to the Interstate battery store and had the techs bring out a brand-new, never-installed battery off the shelf and load test it in front of me on the bench before they installed it in the car and IT FAILED the load test. Nothing lasts forever, ****s breaks or goes bad every day.

Reading that Amazon review I'd say is about what I'd expect...difficult fitment and an inflated price for a super-duper battery I don't really need. I could buy 3 Deka's for that price. And that argument that "I need to free up space under the seat" Really? For what? So it can fit an extra 2 Milky Way bars (the full-size ones, not the fun-size) under there? Gimme a break...
    I've never had a cranking issue with my XB9SX
    And neither have I with my 9 or my 12. Sure there's some days when I have to bump it 2 maybe even 3 times before it takes off but that's the nature of the v-twin beast and if I'm not riding at least once a week, it's on a charger.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast