Thread: xb9 primary output shaft bearing failure.

I know I had another thread started on this but I can't seem to find it now.

Mid year (July maybe?) I heard a ringing sound while riding. My memory is fading/failing now, so I'm wanting to say it was only ridden maybe 5 miles, or it could have been 25. Either way, it didn't last long.
    I did some static checking and found this.

Fast forward to December (yeah, it's been a busy ass year, this was my first "break" from building) and I finally got the pulley and seal removed to take a closer look. It's not pretty.

Christmas eve and yesterday was the days to actually go at it and tear stuff down.

Didn't see a need to remove the stator, so I left it on.

For some reason the cases were a pita to get apart, I don't think it's ever been opened until now.

This is the gear in question. Needle bearings inside are fine.

Normal signs of wear, I guess the motor has 35k+ miles on it.

This cleaned up ok, it's more surface dirt than anything. It had to have gotten wet somewhere along the line.

Yeah, it really did fall apart like this. It's totally destroyed. If I had continued to ride it, I think the bearing would have imploded eventually and done catastrophic damage to the case and transmission.

I checked the needle bearings on the shaft, it spins nicely with no grinding or whatever.

Little bit of cleanup work and it's ready to go back together.

There were some metal shavings in the transmission case, most of it is from the clutch side and would be what I consider normal wear since it was packed into the crevices and appeared to have been there for a while. The metal flakes on the output shaft side never made it down into the transmission, it was all piled up on the outside at the seal.

I installed the new bearing and seal yesterday and put the cases back together. If you've never done this before (spit cases), remove the neutral light detent ball from the right side of the case so that you can move the shifter detent spring mechanism over. The bottom end is back together and ready for the rest but I ended up getting sick and crashed on the couch for the rest of the day. Cold sweats and shivering followed by totally cooking/burning up sucks. Last night really sucked, I think I got about 2-3 hours of sleep.

Forgot to add this, the gasket set was $125 from Kutter, chemicals from Autozone ran $37 and the bearing and seals was $35 from Gateway HD who had them in stock.

The engine overall still looks great for having 35k on it. I like the engine stands you've got there, will keep that in mind for the next time around.

When I did the split on mine, yeap it was a PITA, had over 63k and looked great, bearings were fine. replaced the shift forks and snap rings between the gears that got over stretched during removal, dogs were fine. The entire gasket/seal replacement kit from LSHD1.com was 117 shipped. Shift forks and snap rings from newcastlehd.com were 44 bucks each and like 3 bucks for the snap rings. Used threebond to seal the cases. Cometic cylinder base gaskets from NHRS were 23 bucks. Worst part of the entire job was removing the original paper gasket or whatever it was made of from the jugs, mating surfaces on the case halves, and rocker cover to include the hardware.