, http://www.supermax.net, alternative, options, shovels, capabilitys, sportsters, buell, product, realize, company, highly, recommended, quick, overhauls, triumphs, opinions, drive, vintage, norton, bikes, manufacturer, friend, depend, installed, british, primary, harleys" /> Belt drive overhauls, opinions?

Thread: Belt drive overhauls, opinions?

A friend sent me this link, said the company was highly recommended. Seems like a well made product, I did not realize belt pulleys wore out so quick. Must depend on the manufacturer. I have installed primary belt drives on British bikes (Norton And Triumphs) and not seen any wear on the pulleys at all.
    Ive seen belt drives on Vintage harleys (Shovels and Panheads) and not seen any wear either..plus 2 run in oil sportster belt drives on Iron heads.

Im tempted to call and ask about their Buell capabilitys, plenty of info on there for Sportsters. plus many options for alternative ratios

Any thoughts on these or experience?

see link: http://www.supermax.net/

It's very interesting information. I'd like to hear from someone that has had any experience with it. Recently had the belt off and nothing seemed abnormal at 13k miles but this is definitely some interesting info for later down the line.

If you get any info about Buell products, definitely let us know.

Seems costly and unnecessary IMO. My pulley has no wear at 13000 miles. I had it powder coated last year the belt ribs fit perfectly to the pulley, no gaps or extra space.

uly pulley has no wear at 75k, I don't think this is necessary.

I have some very minor but noticable wear on both sprockets after about 30K.

Did the older belts stretch? Or just didn't last as long before snapping?

IF they stretched, then that will cause more wear on the pulley. Same thing with chains. When all the ribbs/teeth line up well, pressure is even and wear is minimal. If it stretches, then you start wearing at the edges where contact happens first/strongest.

What I'm saying is a good belt... or belt changes... could negate the need for "better" pulleys. You can have a softer/lighter pulley material if the fit is good.

I wasnt aware it was that big of a problem, see here:

http://www.mapcycle.com/map/index.ph...rive-kits.html

I have used these guys kits on 9 different triumph builds, not heard or seen any problems. I have talked to marino, the owner of MAP and their demo bike they built in the late 1970s or early 1980s is still running the original belt and pulley setup and no issues. I do know from my experience in manufacturing that its probable that it probably stems from bad material selection or heat treat. I was wondering if anyone here had ever heard of these wear issues for Harleys or Buells.

I emailed them and if i hear anything of interest back i will post, In the interim, perhaps it is of interest for those who want to change ratios.

Well, Gates made the belts for the '03 Lightning/Firebolt which have issues, thus the P/N has changed to .02A8R now made by Goodyear. Although my original Gates belt has over 64k with now signs of visible wear, she's holding up well after 10 yrs. Drive and rear sprockets look good too...

I'll stick to the original set up, but looking at getting a new belt in the very near future.