Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New XB12 in Orlando

Hey everyone, I'm posting here to introduce myself and tell you about my initial thoughts on my xb12s. I am an expert offroad racer that has just been bored in the dirt lately and I decided to sell a race bike to grab another buell. In the past I have owned a gsxr750, suzuki marauder, xr650l, XB12R, drz400s, and SV650s.

Last night I drove up to Daytona and grabbed this 07 with 14,300 miles for $3,400.

My first impression is that it doesn't turn nearly as good as my xb12r or sv650s. I have a feeling it has something to do with the handlebar position. As you can see the aftermarket bars are mounted in front of where they would normally set. Am I wrong to think that them being positioned more forward can have a negative effect on turning? I have a set of fasstco flexx bars that I think I'm going to install. Maybe they will help with the vibration.

-It doesn't have any sort of trunk or helmet lock. Shame on you buell.
    -I think it was laid down judging by the marks under the right frame guard. Are those just glued on? How can I check out the damage?
    -It doesn't have the same throttle response that my 12r did. Mine had the race pipe and maybe ECU mods from the PO. It NEVER coughed when I chop the throttle like this one does.

If anyone has another lightning in Orlando and would like to ride it and give me their thoughts I'm welcome to it.

Here she is!

I'm down in Orlando in kissimmee, at gators bar to watch the games, its 12:31 on Sunday.

Sent pm

Hey welcome to the forum. I don't think moving the handlebars forwards has any negative effect. It would just change your seating position and then give you more clearance with the bars fully turned.
    Also if your taking those bars off I'll take them. Pm if interested.
    Yes the frame pucks are just glued on. So when you take them off id use heat. Then more glue to put them back on.
    And ya it looks like it could of been laid down. Look in common spots axels frame and the I'd take off that exhaust wrap. I'm betting there will be a dent or rash.

Welcome to forum. I'm in Sanford. We have a Orlando buell meet/ride thread ill try to post the link shortly.

Where in Orlando are you? There are a couple active forum members on here from Orlando.

I live in East Orlando just behind UCF.

Welcome to the forum...bike looks good overall, you've got risers on those bars. Original bars and top clamp were replaced obviously. The frame pucks will come off, heat is good, just do it slowly and not focus the heat in a central area to not distort the puck.
    T-rex Racing has sliders and crash protection for a pretty reasonable price compared to others. Do some light sanding on the swing arm, frame and touch up paint and you'll be fine. ASB (AmericanSportbike.com) has the paint. If you want to go back to stock on the bars and top clamp, someone on the forum will more than likely trade you. Some of the best online sites for parts: newcastlehd.com, surdyke.com, LSHD1.com, Buellsterparts.com, ironmachine.com, buellparts.net, ASB, twinmotorcycles.com are to name a few off hand. All Balls Racing best for bearings which they sell as sets.

I am also in Sanford, I have both the R and the S... if your S turns slower or with more effort than your R then something is setup wrong, Check your suspension settings. What tires are you running? I say all of this bc a S when setup correctly should feel much more radical and aggressive than a R... also, youre running stock fuel maps, if you go over to race maps or race ecm it should put out exactly what your R puts out but quite a few pounds lighter than a R.Between my S and my R I would take my S anyday.. and my S is only a 9.. my R is a 12... I still like the S better.

those bars you have look real wide.. it should turn like crazy..

OK I went back and looked closely at what they got on there.. I would return to stock.. that is going to throw things off on that steering... get rid of that.

Gloom I'd definitely like to ride your way one day and have you check it out. I come from a land of carb'd dirt bikes so I haven't had to mess with any FI yet. I'll have her tagged tomorrow. I'll PM you with my info.

ok.. you can meet me up at starbucks or something and Ill let you ride my 9SX.. after looking at that setup you got , yeah I would ditch that and return to stock... that cant be right what you got there..

this is what Im running right here;;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVnIfzBX6nk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast