Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best replacement battery?

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    well then break out the multi-meter and check for a parasitic drain. very uncommon with buells BUT 92% of the time if you have one it's the VR heading south.
    What lunatic said..... if the VR checks out, then test the stator.

I've had the VR crap out on me before. You can look up the threads on Badweb from many years ago, but the sure fire fix for it was to replace the OE VR with a Compufire 55150.

Ok thanks. What does VR stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by HolyMoley View Post
    Voltage regulator

That would be a Voltage Regulator to old schoolers like me. Virtual Reality seems to be the latest craze.

Inactive
    have the distinct impression this thread like most of the others on here is going to get out of hand very quickly. note that i did NOT say that your VR is bad. i SAID that in many instances a parasitic drain in either XB or 1125 applications can typically be traced back to a VR headed to the graveyard. you do NOT need a youtube vid or instruction manual to test same. print out my simple instructions below, follow them precisely, and you'll find it.
    1-MOST IMPORTANT----the battery must be fully charged....NOT with a crap tender. 6 amps for 20 minutes typically does the job. if the battery is suspect you cannot accurately perform the test.
    2-with a fully charged battery turn everything off on the bike and remove the key from the ignition.
    3-you can use either battery terminal but i strongly recommend using the NEGATIVE TERMINAL!
    4-remove the negative cable from the negative terminal
    5-set your multi-meter to DC AMPS....NOT dc volts....DC AMPS. make sure that is the setting you're working with.
    6-now connect in series the meter to the cable and battery. place the red cable end onto the batt termimal and the other cable end onto the actual cable.
    7-now check your meter. a typical buell draws between 100 and 200 milliamps when sitting. anything over that is suspect.
    8-now go to the most common source as i previously mentioned....the VR. remove the battery fuse from the fuse box and look at the meter. significant change in the meter reading? confirm it's the VR by replacing the fuse and unplugging the VR. same reading as with the fuse removed? it's a bad VR.
    9-step 8 reveals no change? start by removing each fuse in the fuse box individually and watch the meter. a significant change just showed you the guilty circuit. refer to service manual or ASK ME what's on that circuit and i'll tell you.

Idk man, if he doesn't know what VR stands for, my advice would be for him to take his motorcycle to someone that knows what they are doing. Many "Buell problems" are actually caused by incompetent owners playing mechanic. I wish there was a statistic that showed how many problems were actually caused by owners tinkering around where they should not be. I bet that stat would be high.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    Idk man, if he doesn't know what VR stands for, my advice would be for him to take his motorcycle to someone that knows what they are doing. Many "Buell problems" are actually caused by incompetent owners playing mechanic. I wish there was a statistic that showed how many problems were actually caused by owners tinkering around where they should not be. I bet that stat would be high.
    LOL, it's true that if someone is not familiar with what a VR is, said person could create more problems for themselves. Best to have a knowledgeable friend help diagnose in that case. However, HolyMoley do you own a multimeter? Preferrably the digital variety?

I say nothing wrong with someone working on their bike, I actually think it is Great! Just like this forum has a high experience and skill level of some members, that are willing to share such as lunatic's response above. It is a beautiful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    I say nothing wrong with someone working on their bike, I actually think it is Great! Just like this forum has a high experience and skill level of some members, that are willing to share such as lunatic's response above. It is a beautiful thing.
    He is AKA The Buell Whisper. (lunatic)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast