Thread: Star screw for air box cover

I must be losing my mind. I thought I already posted this but I can't find it anywhere. Makes me wonder if I posted it on some other web site. Anyway, I changed the IAT sensor today - will post about that later- and I lost one of the four big star screws that hold the air box cover in place. I can probably get them from ASB bike but I don't have anything else I need right now ... Minimum order is $20. Local hardware store and Home Depot will surely be a waste of time. Anyone know a source I can get one or two from without having to buy like two dozen? If anyone has an extra one and they're willing to take the time to send it, I will happily pay for it and the shipping. Thanks!

I swapped all those torx T-17 bolts out with some normal allen screws and a washer from ACE so I never had to deal with them ever again. If I had any idea what I did with my star screws I would help you out.

If it's the screws for the airbox base, they are common 1/4 inch x 20 screws I believe.

Go to Ace hardware with one of the others and check. The heads will be different but will cost probably less than 50 cents.

And yes, Ace hardware has a MUCH better selection than lowes or home depot... at least in my area.

They're shoulder screws. It's doubtful that your local HW store will have what you need. You risk cracking your plastics if you use regular 1/4" screws w/o a shoulder.

Paulpud was selling used ones from the part-outs he does. Contact him for them.

Ok- I'll see what I can find. Yeah, they would have to be shoulder screws because all of my plastics have been replaced with carbon fiber. I don't want to have to rob another gas station to replace a cracked air box cover.

CA0018.02A8...newcastlehd.com $2.79 ea or here 10 pack for $22

Thanks of the info!

I can mail you one. Email address to paceline25@hotmail.com. Put "buell screw" in the subject line.

or try fastenall